Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The 3 Pot Calls I use. You're advice please.

Started by HFultzjr, April 07, 2015, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

In addition to various Box Calls, here are 3 Pot Calls I use.
The scraping sound between sequences is me using my conditioning stone.
I seem to have the clucks down pretty good.
Yelps need some work.
Purrs.....I suck at these.
I may just stick to clucking on these, until I get a little better.

Your thoughts on #1 vs. #2 vs. #3.

I think #1 and #2 sound the best.

https://soundcloud.com/hfultzjr/3-different-turkey-pot-calls

Thanks

Thundermtn

Your clucks on #2 are hands down the best and I like that call the most.

It doesn't sound like you are holding the striker high enough on the peg to get it to bounce correctly for a good purr. Rest your playing hand on the face of the call to stabilize it and think bouncing instead of pulling.

Choke up on it towards the tip and try a different pull angle on the yelps and that should bring them to where they need to be.

Watch a few youtube clips on where and how guys hold and pull the pegs and you'll be able to see it better than I'm explaining it. Halloran has a few good ones.

Big Guy

Quote from: Thundermtn on April 07, 2015, 10:13:21 AM

It doesn't sound like you are holding the striker high enough on the peg to get it to bounce correctly for a good purr. Rest your playing hand on the face of the call to stabilize it and think bouncing instead of pulling.

Choke up on it towards the tip and try a different pull angle on the yelps and that should bring them to where they need to be.

Watch a few youtube clips on where and how guys hold and pull the pegs and you'll be able to see it better than I'm explaining it. Halloran has a few good ones.

Thanks for the purring tips.  Mine improved immediately.  I was holding it the same way for both yelps and purrs.

Thundermtn

Good, glad it helped. Everything plays a little different but generally you can find the sweet spot higher for purrs and lower for a good breaking yelp. Some guys will keep a high grip a scoot down the middle finger closer to the tip to stiffen the peg for yelps and that works well too once you get the hang of it.

Striker makes a difference too. Some just flat won't purr. Purpleheart is my favorite wood for purring and a longer, or back-end heavier striker helps too.

HFultzjr

Quote from: Thundermtn on April 07, 2015, 10:13:21 AM

Thanks for the response and tips.

The 2nd one is my favorite also.

More practice to do!