OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good 20 ga load for a brand new shooter

Started by chatterbox, April 05, 2015, 10:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Hey guys!
My daughter informed me this morning over Easter breakfast that she wants to hunt turkeys!
Now she has never, ever shot a gun before, and NH requires minimum of a 20 ga to hunt turkeys with.
I know with a 2 3/4 20 ga, and conventional loads, I am looking at 20 yards and in.
Does anyone have any experience with a #7 2 3/4 shell that would work at that distance?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Gun will be a single shot H and R that was my first shotgun.

Thanks,

Mike

Thundermtn

I don't know if it's still in production but I had some win sup. #6, 1oz. loads that were fast and with a full choke it would have been good nearly to 30yards. High brass with a yellow case real nice pattern for fast lead.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Gamebore makes a 7/8 ounce #7 load with high quality lead shot.  If you can keep her shots at 20 yards an under, this should work well and not beat her up with recoil as those H and Rs are pretty light.  That load would have about 250 #7 pellets in it.  At that distance I would start with a modified choke and do some patterning.  They are a great load for grouse. I get them from Ballistic Products, mail order.  At those distances, 7 1/2s would be fine though, and probably easier to find locally.

Gooserbat

Hard to find but Fed dose catalog a 2 3/4 HW #7 load.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dtrkyman

heavyweight for sure, bass pro had it when I looked last year anyway.

howl

At 20 yards just about any decent dove load of 7 1/2s should do just fine. If increased recoil is appropriate to the shooter, the Federal FliteControl loads usually do well enough out to 35 and sometimes further.

101st501

I have used the Hornady brand turkey loads out of a single shot 20 gauge with a modified choke and annihilated a paper plate at a ranged 30 yards.  I was super impressed with the results.  It was 3 inch #5
1 3/8 oz load.

gophert

Mike....go to the 20 ga pattern section and search Fed HW 2 3/4 loads I shot.  Low recoil and out to 30 yards...very deadly

Sent from my typewriter

chatterbox

Quote from: gophert on April 05, 2015, 10:48:25 PM
Mike....go to the 20 ga pattern section and search Fed HW 2 3/4 loads I shot.  Low recoil and out to 30 yards...very deadly

Sent from my typewriter
Thanks Tim!
Would that modified choke H and R barrel work with those shells?

Hayudog

I'll second that 2 3/4" federal load. If you hand load at all, there is a reduced load the 20's use with TSS 9's. It is a legitimate killer. Pm if you have questions

Snoodsniper

I'd look for Winchester heavy game loads (high brass). I've killed a ton of game with them out to 40yds. The recoil is manageable and they pattern well in a modified choke. Should probably stay 30yds or less for turkeys.

surehuntsalot

any of the high brass #6 or 7-1/2 loads will work out to 30yds, just check your patterns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Rapscallion Vermilion

Given that she has never even fired a gun before, her ability to aim precisely might be a consideration.  The Federal 1 1/8 oz HW 7 load is very nice, but it will pattern much more tightly at 20 yards than a lead load.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 06, 2015, 11:03:24 PM
any of the high brass #6 or 7-1/2 loads will work out to 30yds, just check your patterns
this right here.   If you any get them to pattern that great try the fed hw.  Those flight control wads work wanders in fixed barrels.   For starters I would just practice with light target or dove loads so it can be fun and no recoil.  Something like a 7/8 ounce load low brass.   Then step up a little at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gophert

Quote from: chatterbox on April 06, 2015, 12:06:03 PM
Quote from: gophert on April 05, 2015, 10:48:25 PM

Sent from my typewriter
Thanks Tim!
Would that modified choke H and R barrel work with those shells?

I'm sure it would just check it at a distance you are comfortable with.  All in all, like most everyone said, you are realistically looking at 20-25 yards regardless.  Which at that distance, a non-HW shell will do.