OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ported Vs Non Ported choke recoil?

Started by Hay Flats, March 25, 2011, 01:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hay Flats

Can you tell much difference in recoil going from ported to a non ported choke, and if so what ported choke would you suggest for the tightest patterns from Cynergy with Inv. plus using Hevi-13 5's & 6's. Mine is the classic 3.5 model, it shoots to point of aim but the recoil is brutal so I have been using my 870.

Thanks, Kurt

VAHUNTER

i have never seen or felt where ports have helped with recoil. the ports on the Pure Gold are designed to catch and slow the wad. giving better patterns
Good things come to those who wait

hookedspur

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 25, 2011, 06:29:01 AM
i have never seen or felt where ports have helped with recoil. the ports on the Pure Gold are designed to catch and slow the wad. giving better patterns
:agreed: I have both and cant tell the difference.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Odessa

I agree with VAHUNTER; I have shot four different turkey shotguns (three pumps and one semi) using both ported and non-ported tubes - they all kick pretty good due to the very tight chokes and the two ounce loads.  No way around it that I know of except adding weight to the shotgun.  One thing that did help tame the effect of recoil on my cheek was to buy an Allen butt stock cover for $8.00.  The Duratouch finish on my Browning BPS was not letting my cheek slide (like it does on a slick walnut buttstock) and I was getting whacked pretty good on the side of my face - the slick finish on the stock cover allows the stock to more readily slide now under recoil - I can tell a difference in how much of a beating my face gets.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

bowhunter84

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 25, 2011, 06:29:01 AM
:agreed:

SumToy

Most chokes are ported to help control the wad.  I think the only may you could see the difference is with a sensor to check it.   I know if you port a barrel it will help with muzzle jump.    I have played with the port deal and tape.  It will blow the tape off but I have not saw that it help with the kick.  The only thing I have found to help with the kick of a Turkey load is my test dummy. lol
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

chipper

On my shotguns NO. Maybe on a rifle a ported barrel will help but I have never shot one and I've never shot a rifle that kicks like 2.25 onces of shot does.

goblr77

archery1

agree totally.. ports slow the wad.. helps recoil ?   no.. louder from the sides when u shoot though.. get a limbsaver  precision fit recoil pad.. they work.. little pricey but worth the money..make sure u get the correct one or call limbsaver directly to make sure u get the right one.. hope this helps ya
Take a kid hunting

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Hay Flats on March 25, 2011, 01:12:15 AM
Can you tell much difference in recoil going from ported to a non ported choke, and if so what ported choke would you suggest for the tightest patterns from Cynergy with Inv. plus using Hevi-13 5's & 6's. Mine is the classic 3.5 model, it shoots to point of aim but the recoil is brutal so I have been using my 870.

Thanks, Kurt

Hey Kurt,

A couple of things may be of help to you with that fine gun. First of all, I'd recommend that you try the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot (if they are legal where you hunt) rather than the 3.5" shells. Second a Shooter's Friend slip on pad over the existing pad will help more than can be imagined. Take a look at comb fit and make sure you're getting a good cheek weld so that you're not getting slapped by the comb. You may need to adjust that a bit if it's not fitting properly. You may also find that it's better not to shave prior to patterning. A little facial hair can allow that comb to slide, rather than grab. As has already been pointed out, grabbing can be a problems. A little powder on the comb or you cheek can also help.

Perceived recoil can also be effected by sound. I'd recommend that the next time you shoot that gun at the range, in addition to all of the above, you try using some ear plugs and muffs. That can really help.

You have a great gun that can deliver some excellent patterns. With just a few adjustments, you should be able to make that gun more comfortable to shoot.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mcgruff1533

I honestly cannot say that I've felt any difference in recoil between ported and non-ported chokes.     I did notice that my tighter E.D. chokes seem to produce more recoil than more open chokes.

For example, I have a .640" and a .660" non-ported Carlson's choke.    The .640" choke seems to recoil harder.       While it's certainly possible that ported chokes do reduce recoil, it's probably a fairly small reduction that's perceptible only to a computer/ accelerometer.

SR1

I shoot 10-15,000 rounds between trap and skeet every year. I have tried every type of ported choke and porting patterns on barrels that is out there. I have not noticed any change in felt recoil or muzzle jump from ported chokes. Now ported barrels is another story. My skeet gun and doubles gun for trap both have ported barrels and there is next to zero muzzle jump on those guns which is highly recommended for getting on the second target easier and faster.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

Reloader

The only choke I have that I think helps any with recoil is a Rhino, but turkey guns kick so dang hard I seriously doubt you will notice any difference at all.  Muzzle breaks of various design help a ton with recoil on CF rifles and most have ports that vent gas back twds the shooter which in turn helps lower the recoil and muzzle jump.  It is very noticable on a CF rifle that the gas is being vented twds you as you can feel the blast on every shot.  The only choke I have that gives that feel(although not near the feel of a high pressure CF) is the Rhino, so I have to think it is helping somewhat.  The other chokes I've tried with the reverse angle porting have never given me the noticable feel of the gas.

TheTwistedOne

Get a "Chamber Suppressor" to use when patterning the gun.  Take it out when you're hunting and load it as usual.

I have a mercury tube supressor in my 3 1/2" BPS and it definitely helps.

http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/suppressors/index.htm#top

Hay Flats

The reason I asked this is the other day I patterned my 870 with my Indian Creek choke and Hevi-13, 3" 2oz #6's and the recoil was very mild but then I Patterned some 3" 1 1/4oz 1450fps steel Waterfowl loads with a non ported choke and the recoil was much more abusive, I hoped some of the softer recoil from the Hevi was from the ports helping out... bummer.

My Cynergy nearly gives me a black eye it pops me in the cheek so hard with Win. Supreme 3" 1 3/4oz HV loads I would never try 3.5" HV lead :laugh: I would love to use it for Turkeys, I shoot it better than any gun I own for wing shooting and it never hits my cheek but those HV lead loads want to make me cry. I shoot a light weight 375H&H for squirrels, its a powder puff next to HV Turkey loads!
I'm going to put a Kick EEZ pad on when I get the chance but I don't think it will keep it from busting me in the cheek even if I crane my head back as far as I can after a few shots I have a cut on my cheek.

Kurt