turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87 help

Started by wolverines, April 03, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolverines

I've shot a bunch of turkey's with my 21" 11-87.  I used to use the rem into 5s then got on the into wagon and hunted solely with them for years. I tried the mag blends, but the inconsistency makes me have ?  I can shoot 184 and then 99 on the next shot! I want to go to the federal hw 7s, I have great #s with them in my 20s.  I bought the Turlock choke specifically for the fed 7s and only got 122 on my first and only shot.  I will try the 3" 1 5/8 load with a promos tight wad and rem super full. Anybody have any pet combos to try?

owlhoot

Carlsons .640 21" barrel 870.

10gaugemag

Generally short barrels like tighter chokes, my 24" pipe is proving this to me. I would try something in the .650 range on down.

allaboutshooting

With the straight Heavyweight #7s, I've had excellent patterns, dense and without gaps, with the Wright's #3 .650 turkey choke. It's the one that we used when working with Federal on those shells many years ago.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

owlhoot

is that your defeat the wad choke, Clark?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: owlhoot on April 04, 2015, 02:16:29 PM
is that your defeat the wad choke, Clark?
With the early Flitecontrol Wad the best way to get consistently good patterns was to defeat the intended purpose of that wad. It was best to "seal" the brakes and compress the petals by both heat and friction. I leaned to either get good pattens or make the Flitecontrol Wad work as intended. The new Flitecontrol Wad in the 3rd Degree is however, quite different.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."