OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Thug Ammo

Started by lowoctane, April 02, 2015, 10:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:morning:
Does anyone shoot Turkey Thugs anymore? I know the Longbeards have taken the market by storm, but... :z-dizzy:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

the Ward

I still have some 4's, 5's, and 6's. They are a great shooting lead shell. It's funny that just a season ago they were THE hottest ticket in town and now that the LBs are out you don't hear much about 'em! I have been shooting htl lately, but if and when I go back to lead I will be shooting those Thugs. I like the pattern with those shells better between 20-35 yrds where I do most of my shooting, plus still getting good 10" #s at 40 yrds if I misjudge.

buck_hunter21

I have some of the 5's. Before LB came out they were the best lead shell out there.
Spill Blood

lowoctane

Yup! I've got the Patternmaster turkey choke and both my 1187 and 870SM love 5's thru them! They kill roosters when I get a shot... :z-guntootsmiley:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

10gaugemag

Just started shooting them this year, only shell that has proven itself in my set up. Will be trying to stock up on these or the blue box Strut Shok, same shell different packaging. I have ran several 1 7/8 oz. loads over the years and had better patterns than with 2 oz. or 1 3/4 oz. in my 3" guns.

Dr Juice

Are Turkey Thug shells still available? I don't see them on shelves in any sports stores including Cabelas.

10gaugemag

Wal mart fornThugs or blue box Strut Shok in other stores/shops.

buck_hunter21

Wal-Mart only.....my local store had several boxes last week.
Spill Blood

Tennessee Lead

I have 2 boxes of  Thugs 3&1/2" 5's Planned on using them this year instead of Hevi-Shot. I shot a 3" 6 shot Longbeard and went that direction.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

jlewis4390

I have some they shoot great the walmart by house has 3" for 9.99 and 3.5" for 11.99

alclark2

Yeah. I chose thugs over LBs last year. I took a 25 yard shot with LBs and it was too tight for me. . The thugs are perfect at 25-40  yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

WildTigerTrout

My son uses the 20 ga. Turkey Thug 1 1/4 oz. #5 shot in his Rem. 870.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 03, 2015, 01:09:12 PM
My son uses the 20 ga. Turkey Thug 1 1/4 oz. #5 shot in his Rem. 870.

fast becoming my favorite lead load in my 20ga 870
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Shaky Jake

Saw them in Dick's stores in NJ and PA.

10gaugemag

Its what I will be hunting with this year, 3" #6 through a .6675 Star Dot. 129 in the 10 with a decent 20" pattern.  Longbeards shot the highest numbers but there isn't much wiggle room for a nervous turkey.