turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wierd pattern with HW7's?

Started by WNY Bowhunter, April 01, 2015, 08:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

Shot this pattern today from a 870 20 gauge / SSX choke at about 17 yds. I've never seen a pattern that trails off to the side like this at that range.  I'm assuming it's due to the flight contol wads? Is this normai at  closer ranges with the Federal Flight Control loads?
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

SumToy

Should have been a hole.  Now was it side to side or up and down.   It looks like the choke grabbed one side of the wad and spun it.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

WNY Bowhunter

The trail of shot went off to the left of the main shot column.

surehuntsalot

looks like the choke may have messed with the flight control wad
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

thenatural67

I cant get it consistent in anything I shoot.
CRUSADERS
2016 Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Squiibs

This is a little scary....I recently just changed over to the SSX choke so this is the exact set up I will be pattering this weekend. The 870 express mag with a 21 inch barrel. Ill be comparing 3 inch HW#7 and 3 inch federal HW#7 with flitecontrol. Hope I dont have the same issue.
Gooble Gobble

walk20

Just changed to indian creek for that same reason with the ssx

10gaugemag

Not a 20 and not HW but my SSX sure screws with the wad in a Longbeard. Rips petals from the wad and if you look in the tube it looks as if the shot/wad passed along one side of the tube and never touched the other. Saving the SSX for conventional wad/shot loads.

jordanz7935

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 08, 2015, 07:39:51 PM
Not a 20 and not HW but my SSX sure screws with the wad in a Longbeard. Rips petals from the wad and if you look in the tube it looks as if the shot/wad passed along one side of the tube and never touched the other. Saving the SSX for conventional wad/shot loads.
The Longbeards are loaded with conventional wads. Most any wad-stopping choke is gonna tear up the wad.Ive seen this with Indian Creek,Kicks, and Patternmaster chokes.Thats what they were designed to do. I beleive the Sumtoy is the only wad-stopper choke thats reccomended for HW#7s.I know alot of guys shoot Indian Creek chokes with good results but they are not waranteed and i wouldnt recomend it after seeing what Fed HW's did to my indian creek in my 935.

10gaugemag

Quote from: jordanz7935 on April 08, 2015, 08:34:15 PM
Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 08, 2015, 07:39:51 PM
The Longbeards are loaded with conventional wads. Most any wad-stopping choke is gonna tear up the wad.Ive seen this with Indian Creek,Kicks, and Patternmaster chokes.Thats what they were designed to do. I beleive the Sumtoy is the only wad-stopper choke thats reccomended for HW#7s.I know alot of guys shoot Indian Creek chokes with good results but they are not waranteed and i wouldnt recomend it after seeing what Fed HW's did to my indian creek in my 935.
Yes conventional wad but far from conventional shot/buffer loading.

Squiibs

Should I be worried here??? Cause I am.
Gooble Gobble

jordanz7935

g8rvet

15 yards, HW#7 Weatherby SA-459 and a Trulock choke,  Just for comparison. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: Squiibs on April 10, 2015, 07:26:33 PM

I ended up switching the SSX out with a Tightwad for now. I'll probably go the SumToy route in the future...

Squiibs

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on April 10, 2015, 10:40:32 PM
Quote from: Squiibs on April 10, 2015, 07:26:33 PM

I ended up switching the SSX out with a Tightwad for now. I'll probably go the SumToy route in the future...

Are you still using the HW#7s???
Gooble Gobble