turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rain Chalk or Reg Chalk?

Started by HFultzjr, March 29, 2015, 04:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

Been using Rain Chalk on my Box Calls since last year. I like it....I think?

Seems to make a "different" sound...I don't know if that's good or bad, as I have heard some really wierd sounding live birds.

Really changed the sound on my Woodhaven Real Hen....better or worse, I don't know. I do know they sound different in the house vs. on the deck vs. in the woods.

I've video taped myself and they sound different on tape from what I'm hearing live. I've placed the recorder about 15 -20 feet away. That's probably the difference. I may try it 15-20 yards away and see how it sounds.

P.S. I have Tinnitus, which really sucks.....wasn't carefull enough in my younger "invinceable" days.

Young ones.....PROTECT YOUR EARS! You'll appreciate it after 55+

What chalk do you all recommend and why?

Thanks.

grayfox

I also noticed different chalks make the box call sound different.  Like on SS Custom calls they sound best with the white chalk Al & Josh send with them or at least they do to me.  I just bought some Rain Chalk lately too & have been using it on some box calls I have.  I would suggest using what came with the call or what the call maker recommends.  If not do like I do & use what sounds best to you.

Will

Half moon carpenters chalk...why? That's what I've used since I owned my first box call which was a Lynch. Not that the one your using isn't but the carpenter chalk is oil free.  I have boxes from Hudson, Eddleman, McKamey, Shoemaker and Watkins. They all have the same chalk on them. Some of my boxes hardly have some on the paddle. I dont plan on using my boxes in the rain because I wouldn't want to have them ruined so I'll never worry about the rain chalk.
Good luck! :wagon:

HFultzjr

Quote from: Will on March 29, 2015, 08:50:34 PM
Half moon carpenters chalk...why? That's what I've used since I owned my first box call which was a Lynch. Not that the one your using isn't but the carpenter chalk is oil free.  I have boxes from Hudson, Eddleman, McKamey, Shoemaker and Watkins. They all have the same chalk on them. Some of my boxes hardly have some on the paddle. I dont plan on using my boxes in the rain because I wouldn't want to have them ruined so I'll never worry about the rain chalk.
Good luck! :wagon:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the rain and box calls. Screwed up Lynch Foolproof many years ago. Now I mostly hunt from blinds and keep them in a zip-lock bag. I just think the RainChalk has a different sound. Don't know if I like it better, but it's different.

turkey-slayer

I have used Rain Chalk as well as any good chalk without oil on my box calls. It should work very good for you. Carpenters blue chalk as well as railroad chalk is good on them. Rain chalk is very good on your striker tips and you can try it on ceramic or aluminum pot calls. It will create more grab.

Smooth_Operator

I have all kinds of chalk in my vest including rain chalk.  I generally reach for the rain chalk most times, I feel I get better grip with it than I do with the other chalks.  Plus as already mentioned I like to chalk my striker tips with the rain chalk's center red dot.  I've never noticed it causing a different sound or tone on my calls...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

HFultzjr

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on March 30, 2015, 09:03:14 AM
I have all kinds of chalk in my vest including rain chalk.  I generally reach for the rain chalk most times, I feel I get better grip with it than I do with the other chalks.  Plus as already mentioned I like to chalk my striker tips with the rain chalk's center red dot.  I've never noticed it causing a different sound or tone on my calls...

The difference in sound I hear with Rain Chalk is, it's "rougher" or more "raspier" for a lack of better terms.
Doesn't sound bad, just different from my reg blue chalk (turkey call chalk, not the regular crap.) It's probably from getting more of a bite, as it does seem to bite better.

falltoms

I quit using chalk on my box calls. If you tune them right you don't need it . I know chalk creates friction, but if my boxes aren't quite sounding right from years of use or whatever, I take 220 grit or some scotch brute pads and lightly sand the paddle and rails. The key is lightly and a little at a time till its sounds right again