turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old Black Box Win Supreme 6 Penetration

Started by donjuan, March 28, 2015, 06:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

So I found some 3.5 2 1/4 oz #6 loads of Winchester Supreme.  I love the patterns as they have great 20" coverage and put up 150-160 in the ten.  My question is, at 1150 fps, how far are they lethal on a turkey? 35? 40?  I tried the search feature but couldn't come up with anything.
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

10gaugemag

I would pound one at 40 with that load all day long.

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

scdxt

That shell along with the HV win prob has killed more turkeys than most shells can dream about... If it shoots good in your gun I would hunt them without any worries. Lead 6s will kill farther than you need to be shooting. Trust me!

BandedSpur

They'll smash one at 40. No talk allowed beyond that.

budtripp

Deadly load. I'm not sure why all this discussion lately about the killing ability of loads that have dropped more birds than any hevi or heavyweight combined. Did a turkeys skull get thicker in the last decade?

Gobble!

howl

The pattern will fall apart before the effective range is exceeded.

Ihuntoldschool

Amen.  Pattern fails before penetration, this is a scientific fact that has been proven so many times that I don't understand how anyone can question it.
If you hit the neck vertebrae or brain with #6 lead the bird is dead.   I know everyone has a tale about the bird they shot or their buddy shot with #6 lead and the bird ran off or flew off.  Well, you flat out missed the neck vertebrae and brain.  There is a reason for years everyone has said pattern your shotgun, but how many years have you heard penetrate your shotgun?

Use a shot size appropriate for the game hunted and the pattern will fail before penetration every single time.   
If you just like shooting soup cans or plywood or tin or loblolly pines then have at it.  But pattern density will always be the determining factor in shotgun range. I shoot lead, so for this reason, I like #6 shot.

Gooserbat

Your fine.  It will kill at any reasonable hunting range.  I killed a lot, and I mean a lot of birds with Win HV #6.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 29, 2015, 11:26:22 AM
Amen.  Pattern fails before penetration, this is a scientific fact that has been proven so many times that I don't understand how anyone can question it.
If you hit the neck vertebrae or brain with #6 lead the bird is dead.   I know everyone has a tale about the bird they shot or their buddy shot with #6 lead and the bird ran off or flew off.  Well, you flat out missed the neck vertebrae and brain.  There is a reason for years everyone has said pattern your shotgun, but how many years have you heard penetrate your shotgun?

Use a shot size appropriate for the game hunted and the pattern will fail before penetration every single time.   
If you just like shooting soup cans or plywood or tin or loblolly pines then have at it.  But pattern density will always be the determining factor in shotgun range. I shoot lead, so for this reason, I like #6 shot.
What scientific data? Most i have seen show 6 lead failing to meet the 40 yard standard scientifically. Now i can see the pattern failing before penetration back when 3" shells were the big ones, most had 2 3/4" guns and fixed chokes and 30-40 yards with a 100 in the 10 was something to ooh and aah about. Now i don't see it, 50- 55 yard 100 in the 10" patterns with #6 LB shells. Just cant see doing it or recommending others do it.  Some of you obviously have though.  What if you didn't break or fracture the spinal cord, maybe you just didn't miss it!  Shooting for penetration just may be the new extra in pattern and performance testing.  But if you still limit to 40 yards a good pattern and good HV load, penetration should not be a problem.

Dr Juice

Amen. I shoot HTL and lead and keep my shots within 40-yards.

10gaugemag

Quote from: owlhoot on March 29, 2015, 05:25:11 PM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 29, 2015, 11:26:22 AM

What scientific data? Most i have seen show 6 lead failing to meet the 40 yard standard scientifically. Now i can see the pattern failing before penetration back when 3" shells were the big ones, most had 2 3/4" guns and fixed chokes and 30-40 yards with a 100 in the 10 was something to ooh and aah about. Now i don't see it, 50- 55 yard 100 in the 10" patterns with #6 LB shells. Just cant see doing it or recommending others do it.  Some of you obviously have though.  What if you didn't break or fracture the spinal cord, maybe you just didn't miss it!  Shooting for penetration just may be the new extra in pattern and performance testing.  But if you still limit to 40 yards a good pattern and good HV load, penetration should not be a problem.
Noobody ever said a thing about 50-55 yards or a single inch over 40.

owlhoot

ok then what does pattern fails before penetration mean then??

it was already discussed in earlier threads about this pattern before penetration failure after a guy posted his 50 yard or so patterns with long beards. By the poster i quoted.   
Refer to say it aint so on march 6, i believe. Sorry i didnt realize it had been talked about over 20 days ago.

there is also 4 hints , digs whatever you want to call them on this thread about over 40 yards.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: budtripp on March 28, 2015, 09:41:33 PM
Deadly load. I'm not sure why all this discussion lately about the killing ability of loads that have dropped more birds than any hevi or heavyweight combined. Did a turkeys skull get thicker in the last decade?

some people seem to think they have bullet proof vest on now
you have to hit them with 200 pellets at 1500fps to stand a chance
it's not the harvest,it's the chase