OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lets see those target stands/holders!

Started by ShotgunDave, February 09, 2011, 09:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShotgunDave

I'm trying to get some ideas on how I want to build the stand to hold my paper for sighting in my turkey gun.  I'm sure some of ya'll have some great ideas/pics that you can share.  I gotta hit the range real, real soon.  Post em up!

barry

Old realtor or election signs make great portable taget holders

GOLD HUNTER

This is the one I use.  Its an old "For Sale" sign that you can get from Lowe's.  Remove the "For Sale" sign and hang your target.

Reloader

It takes about an hour to make and only cost me $32 inculding paper and tax.

Materials needed(Home Depot):

2- 1" PVC Elbows(.44 each)
2- 1"x1"x1" PVC Ts(.56 each)
2- 1"x1/2"x1" PVC Ts(.93 each)
1- 1/2" SC40 PVC Conduit joint 10' (1.09 each)
2- 1" SC40 PVC Conduit joints 10' (2.30 each)
1- Box of 100 #8x1/2" round head sheet metal screws(2.87 each bx)
1- 4" PVC Drain pipe 10' (7.82 each)
1- 35" wide 140 ft roll of contractors paper(9.97 each) (in the paint section)
1- 1x6 fence picket (cheap)
2- Paper clamps(had them on hand, have no idea what they cost)

Cut 2 1" conduits 37-1/4" long
Cut 1 1" conduit 37" long
Cut 1 1/2" conduit 37-1/8" long
Cut 4 1" conduits 10-12" long
Cut 2 1" conduits 2-1/8" long
Cut 1 4" PVC piece 36-3/4" long

37-1/4" 1" pieces are the sides
37 1" is top
37-1/8" is the paper roll axle
4-10" pieces are the feet
2-1/8" piece are just connections from the 1x1/2x1 tees to connect the feet Ts

Assemble all PVC, Square, drill pilot holes slightly smaller than #8 screw at every joint(3 per Tee), screw a screw in every joint hole, cut a slit all the way down the 4" 36-3/4 pipe, insert paper roll and while inserting pull tab of paper through slit and slide roll into pipe, unscrew one side of 1/2" axle and pull from joint, slide paper roll/4" pipe onto axle, reinsert axle in T, replace screw into axle, Drill 3/8" hole in one side of clamp, drill 1/8" hole in other side of clamp, remove one clamp arm on the small hole side, level clamp on top 2" back from elbow, mark through big hole and little hole onto the pipe, drill small pilot hole at marks, insert screw through 3/8 hole and screw to top pipe, cut fence picket 36-7/8"

I did not glue anything incase something breaks you can just replace one piece instead of the hole thing.

Once you set up the target stand prop fence picket 1x6 against the 4" PVC to keep stray pellets from busting the pipe.  You now have a sweet target stand that's light weight and beats the heck out of moving a 3/4" sheet of plywood around.  I have a portable Big Game shooting bench and this set-up is easy to move around to get out of the wind, find a shady spot, take to the camp, etc etc.....

Here's the finish product less the fence picket:

Back:

Front:

Ya'll have a Good One,

Reloader

TnTurk

Quote from: barry on February 09, 2011, 12:06:08 PM
Old realtor or election signs make great portable target holders
HA, HA Barry, that's exactly what I use. Anytime someone wants to put one up in my yard, I just say Sure, why not, we'll take a shot at it. Little do they know I mean it literally.

Reloader

I have since added EMT over the 1" PVC.  Just measure between the elbow lips and cut the EMT to fit. It fits just right over the 1" PVC.  The EMT keeps stray pellets from breaking the PVC over time and adds weight to keep it standing in wind.

Hootowl

GOLD HUNTER,
                     I sure did'nt know Lowes sold them, I would just wait till dark and take them out of Yards....I use to..Now I build them out of Old scrap wood, But I am going to Lowes this weekend.....

RutnNStrutn

:agreed:  That's what I use!! :icon_thumright:

West Augusta

Election signs are what I use.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

ShotgunDave

Thanks guys...there are some great ideas here.  Reloader that PVC stand is fantastic.

turkey slayer

yes they do! I have a pile of them.

Missed-Em

I use an old saw horse, just staple the target to it.