OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot Call Kits

Started by dogbox, March 20, 2015, 11:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbox

Our local NWTF chapter has a yearly turkey hunt for 10 Wounded Warriors from Ft. Campbell and I usually put together enough basic gear, shells, calls, etc..., to set them up to turkey hunt on their own back at the base.  I get some donations, but usually buy most of the stuff each year on sale after the season and save it for the next year's hunt.  You might be surprised as the deals you can find if you really look around.

This past year I wasn't able to find any deals on calls that I could afford and so I am thinking about ordering 10 pot calls kits and putting them together for the guys/gals.  I am wondering if anyone here has used any pot call kits before and if so what recommendations they might have.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

wisconsinteacher

I just finished up some kits from Brookside Game Calls.  I learned a few things.  The best sounding combos that I came up with were poplar with glass over glass, purple heart with glass over slate and paduak with slate over glass.  I found that the 3.25" pots sounded way better than any of the 3.5" calls.  to glue the surfaces, I used GOOP.  The easiest way was to put some in a sandwich bag and then cut the corner and use it like a piping bag for frosting a cake.  I also, used DEFT spray to finish the calls before putting the surfaces on them.  My recommendation is to stick with glass/slate/crystal for a surface and stay away from aluminum and copper.  As far as strikers, go with a purple heart and maple top or yellow heart maple top.  Enjoy and good luck.  Mine will be in the woods this spring because they sound so good.