OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cheating?

Started by dejake, March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgm1955

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Quote from: stinkpickle on March 12, 2015, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: dejake on March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM
I've seen a few posts where folks' opinions are that using decoys is cheating.  I don't get it.  Can someone expound upon that philosophy?

Just reply with, "This guy thinks we're ALL cheaters..."

Dr Juice

Deeks aren't cheating. They are another tool in the arsenal even though I rarely use them.  :turkey2:

Blong

I roosted a bird last year for the opener, he was on the edge of a pipeline in large pines. I had to walk under him very early to get toward the field they had been using. I decided to try out a strutter and stuck it in the pipeline. When it is enough light for him to see it, he flies halfway and then runs all the way to it. He was dead in 30 seconds. I feel like I cheated both him and me. I'm not in it for the kill as much as I am in it for the game. I will not use another one unless it is for a child wanting to hunt.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Blong on March 12, 2015, 04:32:12 PM
I roosted a bird last year for the opener, he was on the edge of a pipeline in large pines. I had to walk under him very early to get toward the field they had been using. I decided to try out a strutter and stuck it in the pipeline. When it is enough light for him to see it, he flies halfway and then runs all the way to it. He was dead in 30 seconds. I feel like I cheated both him and me. I'm not in it for the kill as much as I am in it for the game. I will not use another one unless it is for a child wanting to hunt.

Well, you didn't HAVE TO shoot him.  ;)

the Ward

I think a better question should be "if someone likes using a decoy what business of mine is it?" Pretty soon we will be arguing that people who don't call them in with a blade of grass between their thumbs and catch them by hand are cheating. You must "count coup" with the barrel before you shoot lol!!

30_06

Is there really a way to cheat at hunting while following all the rules?

DirtNap647

don't worry what others think enjoy your hunt let them worry about themselves hunt your way and have fun good luck

porcupine

There's no rule that says you cant so it is not cheating! Decoys,pop up blinds,shotguns.....what ever you like someone will always have an opposite opinion.....enjoy hunting the way you enjoy it :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

g8rvet

I never use them in the woods. Not for any reason other than I don't really need to use them. I use them every time I set up on a field. 

There are enough things that even the old time (not age, but mentality) hunters do that are cheating as well - shotgun instead of flintlock or bow, leafy camo, thermacell, binoculars, GPS, calls they bought instead of made, etc.

I am not saying they are wrong for doing it their way, because for every single one of us, we are hunting for sport, not for support.  We all make our own rules within a legal framework to make it more exciting for us, and as we get more accomplished, we often make the rules harder to give ourselves more satisfaction.  Killing a deer with a rifle is boring to me.  I have killed as many as I want to that way, it was bow or no for me with deer, until I quit deer hunting (got bored with it). 

If it is legal and you are not forcing me to do something I do not want to do, have at it. I will support your choice to use decoys and shoot a jake or a bearded hen (if legal) or whatever.  It is just plain none of my business.

The only hunter I will take a lecture from is the guy that hunts naked, calls them in with mouth only and catches them with his hands or from a weapon he built on that hunt - cave man style! 

I ain't judging anyone - just have fun and be safe everyone.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

SinGin

Decoys are just fine but if you use a blind, well thats cheating......Just kidding

ol bob

I don't understand why these post are made or why anyone responds to them when you are in the woods its just you the birds and God  decoys, blinds, take a shot at 5 yards or 55  what anyone else thinks or says don't mater just be glad you got to spend the day in the woods and when you are leaving thank God you got to be there it could be your last time.

JLH

Using a gun is cheating.....

LARRYHAYNES

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 12, 2015, 04:35:10 PM
Quote from: Blong on March 12, 2015, 04:32:12 PM

Well, you didn't HAVE TO shoot him.  ;)

Exactly. Hahaha
LARRY

Snoodsniper

I know its off topic but I'm thinking the loin cloth and blue moccasins might be a little showy for turkey hunting these days! Hey I'll try anything once though.

Gooserbat

It all boils down to my way is better because it's my way.

:deadhorse:
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.