OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cheating?

Started by dejake, March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darn2ten

I have tried them in the past, and killed some birds with them. To me it's just like most other things in hunting, a progression. When I was younger I was blood thirsty and it was more about the numbers than the quality of the hunt. I'm not that old, but things have changed for
me. I don't carry decoys anymore because that's just my preference and style. I get satisfaction with just my calls and my gun. However, as long as it's legal I won't belittle anybody for hunting how they want. Just because it's my way doesn't mean it's got to be everybody's way. Hunt and enjoy it your way, that's what it's all about. Now this is a whole nother topic, but roost shooting is legal in some states. That is totally CHEATING in my book and a person ought to be ashamed for doing it legal or not.

MEbeardlover

Decoys are visual lures. Calls are auditory lures. Seems as though some "purists" believe one is ok and the other is not.

How many of the hutters on this forum have taken a bird on just dumb luck? Are we now going to argue that a bird taken that way is cheap or doesn't count?

You hunt 'em your way; I hunt 'em mine. As long we are both legal, let's agree to disagree.

BigBen81

I'd be willing to bet that most of the hunters who are against using decoys don't hunt a lot in open ground.  A lot of us hunt farm ground in the midwest where there are small patches of timber surrounded by huge ag fields and pastures.  Those toms can see for a long ways in open ground, and if they don't see the hen that's supposed to be making that sound, then they often won't commit within range.

LI Outdoorsman

I've read some blogs that some guys consider it cheating if you hunt over a food plot!.
WHAT!..you mean you dont just walk around and cold call up a gobbler in the woods? really..
I think this all gets a little out of hand..If your legal and you kill a bird congrats!..more power to you I say!

RutnNStrutn

8 pages, I love it!!! :popcorn: ;D
Most of you who know me know that I support anything that is legal in your state. If it's legal, and it makes you happy, go for it!! :icon_thumright:
I use dekes. Not all the time. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and yes, sometimes they hurt you!! That's part of the game.
I've killed turks over dekes, and without dekes.  I've called them in, I've ambushed them, I've snuck up on them, you name it, I've killed turkeys that way. I'm proud of all of them.
Not everyone has the same opportunities as others!! If I had several awesome places to hunt, loaded with gobbling birds, I'd try to challenge myself by upping my game. But I don't, so I use every tool in my bag, including dekes. If you don't like the method I employ, I don't care!! ;D
I fault no one for the legal methods they employ. Kumbaya!! ;)  :funnyturkey:

trb136

Preach it Brotha!

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 20, 2015, 07:18:54 PM
8 pages, I love it!!! :popcorn: ;D
Most of you who know me know that I support anything that is legal in your state. If it's legal, and it makes you happy, go for it!! :icon_thumright:
I use dekes. Not all the time. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and yes, sometimes they hurt you!! That's part of the game.
I've killed turks over dekes, and without dekes.  I've called them in, I've ambushed them, I've snuck up on them, you name it, I've killed turkeys that way. I'm proud of all of them.
Not everyone has the same opportunities as others!! If I had several awesome places to hunt, loaded with gobbling birds, I'd try to challenge myself by upping my game. But I don't, so I use every tool in my bag, including dekes. If you don't like the method I employ, I don't care!! ;D
I fault no one for the legal methods they employ. Kumbaya!! ;)  :funnyturkey: