OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cheating?

Started by dejake, March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dejake

I've seen a few posts where folks' opinions are that using decoys is cheating.  I don't get it.  Can someone expound upon that philosophy?

Swampchickin234

My 2 cents are use what makes you happy.  I don't beleive it's right to call someone out for using a legal method. If it makes you happy, use them. If you don't like them, don't use them.  As long as its legal, do what makes yu happy.   I don't necessarily like using em, but that don't mean I won't.  Do what makes ya happy and have fun. That's whats it's about to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Big Timber

guesswho

My opinion on this, and that's all it is, my opinion.  Some will agree and some will think its arrogant bs from a crazy ole coot who happens to turkey hunt.   But the higher your skill level in turkey hunting the more decoys can hurt you.  The lower your skill level the more they can help you.   Basically a guy who understands the game and the bird will kill more turkeys without a decoy than he would with.   A guy with less understanding and knowledge will kill more with a decoy than without.  Take it for what it's worth!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Hooksfan

Quote from: guesswho on March 12, 2015, 01:58:04 PM
My opinion on this, and that's all it is, my opinion.  Some will agree and some will think its arrogant bs from a crazy ole coot who happens to turkey hunt.   But the higher your skill level in turkey hunting the more decoys can hurt you.  The lower your skill level the more they can help you.   Basically a guy who understands the game and the bird will kill more turkeys without a decoy than he would with.   A guy with less understanding and knowledge will kill more with a decoy than without.  Take it for what it's worth!
:z-winnersmiley:

Mike Honcho

I think a lot of truth in what guesswho just said.  I also think it can depend on where and what type of geography you hunt. 

I hunt in the Midwest and it's mostly agricultural fields , either soybean stubble or corn stubble fields...some woods and pasture ground too.

If I am hunting a field that has NO COVER...just a corn or soybean field and the birds roost on neighboring ground I can't hunt , I may put a ground blind up and use a decoy.  I'd rather hunt the field that way and harvest a tom than not hunt it at all.  Hunting ground is not unlimited so I vary my tactics to the situation and terrain.

mudhen

Decoys can be fun!

Is fun bad now?

Dekes are good for archery, new places, fields, bad weather, etc.

If the state biologists allow it, I'm pretty much for it...

But I do agree that no decoy won't spook a bird for the most part...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

OldSwamper

allow me to bring a little gas to this fire.....when a turkey walks toward your decoy, he thinks he is headed to a live bird.....isn't that the same as a turkey call?  much the same as duck decoys and calls, deer decoys and calls, predator decoys and calls.  just use what works.

i acknowledge there is likely much wisdom in some of the prior responses.  But, me and my dad killed a pair of 2-year-olds last year who stomped up to my jake decoy with a plan of kicking his bootay.  neither of us had our guns up, so we had to wait until they both turned their backs to raise our guns.  having those birds at 20 yards in full strut doing fighting purrs was awesome.  so was the brief flopping they did soon thereafter.....call it cheating if you want but i don't care.  i'll do it again on Day 1 this year if possible.  Good luck to all this year....

BC

It's the same old crap you hear every season from people who are "holier than thou". They are the same ones that tell you that they are a superior turkey hunter because they only kill them if they call them in. Got news for you "holier than thou" bunch...... anyone can call a turkey in on any given day. I've seen a 5 year old kid call in a hot turkey with an old scratch box. It takes a hell of a lot better woodsman and hunter to kill birds that aren't talking than it does to call one in and shoot it.

As far as decoys.... they have their purpose in the woods. I don't carry them a lot until I head out west but I know some guys who put them out every time they go out. To each their own, I just don't like to tote them.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: guesswho on March 12, 2015, 01:58:04 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

Quote from: OldSwamper on March 12, 2015, 02:33:14 PM
allow me to bring a little gas to this fire.....when a turkey walks toward your decoy, he thinks he is headed to a live bird.....isn't that the same as a turkey call?  much the same as duck decoys and calls, deer decoys and calls, predator decoys and calls.  just use what works.

i acknowledge there is likely much wisdom in some of the prior responses.  But, me and my dad killed a pair of 2-year-olds last year who stomped up to my jake decoy with a plan of kicking his bootay.  neither of us had our guns up, so we had to wait until they both turned their backs to raise our guns.  having those birds at 20 yards in full strut doing fighting purrs was awesome.  so was the brief flopping they did soon thereafter.....call it cheating if you want but i don't care.  i'll do it again on Day 1 this year if possible.  Good luck to all this year....

Difference is your giving him a visual stimulation. His eyes are the hardest to fool. If I hear a girl whistle I'm not going to go look for her. If I see a hot redhead whistle then I'm blowing up in full strut and walking on over :D

mgm1955

If it's legal and you want to do it then do it. Individual choice, no right or wrong. Enough said.

Ihuntoldschool

Exactly, we all make our own rules. I know it is against my rules, therefore cheating.
For some people it will be within their rules and that is fine.

To me it comes down to fair play and respect for the bird. Now to some people the way you hunt is more important than the end result. Has to be done fair and square for me.

stinkpickle

Quote from: dejake on March 12, 2015, 12:58:01 PM
I've seen a few posts where folks' opinions are that using decoys is cheating.  I don't get it.  Can someone expound upon that philosophy?

Just reply with, "This guy thinks we're ALL cheaters..."