OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win XR #5's or #6's

Started by RutStrut, March 23, 2011, 09:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutStrut

Need some help and wanted some advice before I spent the money on a box that may not work as well.  I will be shooting the IC .665 with a Browning Maxus 28 inch barrel, 3.5in shell.  Which do you think would pattern better and is there maybe a better shell.  Magblends seem to be a favorite.  Also wanting to put some adjustable sights on the rib, any advice.

K-ZONE

IMO you do not need 5's with HD shot better pellet count with 6's even better with EM-7's.If u dont want to spend the money on patterning to really see what the gun likes i would say XR 6's will be a safe bet and EM-7's even better.It all depends if u want to kill turkeys or win a still target event.Call indian creek they are very helpful.

TWOWITHONE

I shoot win/er 3" #6 shot. Seen some people shoot 3 1/2 horrible patterns and switch to 3" and problem eradicated.That gobbler in my avatar was harvested with a choke I bought from Clark (allaboutshooting) actuallt its my third gobbler. The choke loves winnie 3" #6shot extented range shells. :you_rock:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RutStrut on March 23, 2011, 09:24:51 AM
Need some help and wanted some advice before I spent the money on a box that may not work as well.  I will be shooting the IC .665 with a Browning Maxus 28 inch barrel, 3.5in shell.  Which do you think would pattern better and is there maybe a better shell.  Magblends seem to be a favorite.  Also wanting to put some adjustable sights on the rib, any advice.

First of all, congratulations on the Maxus. All of my readers shooting that gun are having great results with the Hevi-13 shells with either #6 or where allowed #7 shot shells. Most are shooting 3" shells rather than the 3.5" due to reduced recoil and for some, better patterns.

The Magnum Blend is also a great shell but does have more noticeable recoil than the standard Hevi-13 shells.

As far as adjustable sights, I prefer the Truglo "Pro Series" of fiber optic sights but the Williams are also good ones.

Lastly, I'd recommend that you "deep clean" that barrel. Browning makes some of the best production barrels I've seen but a good cleaning always helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Skeeterbait

Go with #6 for sure.  The velocity and weight are sufficient to kill beyond 50 yards if your pattern holds up.  Had to anchor a running bird last year.  Broke his leg at 52 yards.  So the weight of #5 is not needed and all you are doing is limiting the number of shot in the pattern.

bowhunter84

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 23, 2011, 10:13:30 AM
Go with #6 for sure.  The velocity and weight are sufficient to kill beyond 50 yards if your pattern holds up.  Had to anchor a running bird last year.  Broke his leg at 52 yards.  So the weight of #5 is not needed and all you are doing is limiting the number of shot in the pattern.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

RutStrut

Thank you everyone for the opinions, it looks like I may start with the Win ER #6's.  First I need to stop at BPS on Fri and pick up one of those Tru Glo Magnum Pro gobbler sights and try to find my POI.  Can I use regular 3inch small game/birdshot loads for that?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RutStrut on March 23, 2011, 01:14:08 PM
Thank you everyone for the opinions, it looks like I may start with the Win ER #6's.  First I need to stop at BPS on Fri and pick up one of those Tru Glo Magnum Pro gobbler sights and try to find my POI.  Can I use regular 3inch small game/birdshot loads for that?

I would do that by firing 3 consecutive shots at "big paper", at least 3 feet x 3 feet, at 20 yards. By shooting 3 shells, before changing the paper, you'll easily be able to see where the core of your pattern is. Then, you can make adjustments, shoot a turkey load at clean paper, then move out to 40 yards and you should be good to go.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

RutStrut

Indian Creek recommended the #5 Win XR over the #6's with my setup.  I cant figure out the logic, except that maybe more downrange penetration with the 5's. I would of thought the 6's would of been better, more pellets, better patterns, etc???

Skeeterbait

Over half of the people who call a choke company are still shooting lead and still have the mind set that #6 is squirrel shot and it takes #4 to kill a turkey.  I would not tell customers to use #6 either if I knew that over half the people are going to hang up and think "they don't know what the're talking about".

Gobble!

shoot 6s unless you plan on shooting 120 yards

Rob Robertson

I Use lead #5's.  Here in southern Oklahoma most days the wind is 20 mph or higher.  #5's buck the wind a little better.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Rob Robertson on March 23, 2011, 02:48:20 PM
I Use lead #5's.  Here in southern Oklahoma most days the wind is 20 mph or higher.  #5's buck the wind a little better.

#5's are my favorite also
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quote#5's are my favorite also

In Lead shells, absolutely.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions