OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 7's and 835

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, March 08, 2015, 04:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

I've heard of everyone having great success with hevi 7's and a IC .675 in their 835 but my gun didn't shoot them near as good as a lot of the patterns I've seen. Does my gun just not like that load?

chatterbox

Quote from: ThunderChickenGetter on March 08, 2015, 04:39:22 PM
I've heard of everyone having great success with hevi 7's and a IC .675 in their 835 but my gun didn't shoot them near as good as a lot of the patterns I've seen. Does my gun just not like that load?
Lots of factors.....
What is the length of your barrel? Was it a warm day out? Did you shoot at a large piece of paper and circle the densest part of your pattern after? Is the barrel deep cleaned? 3 inch or 3.5 inch shell?
Lots of questions. If you can provide us some little more info, we might be able to help.

ThunderChickenGetter

I have a 24" barrel, the temp was around 60, the barrel has been deep cleaned, I measured the densest part of the pattern, and they were 3.5" shells. They still put it good numbers just now from what I have heard everyone else has been getting

chatterbox

Quote from: ThunderChickenGetter on March 08, 2015, 06:36:10 PM
I have a 24" barrel, the temp was around 60, the barrel has been deep cleaned, I measured the densest part of the pattern, and they were 3.5" shells. They still put it good numbers just now from what I have heard everyone else has been getting
Well, sounds like you did your homework!
That shell should do very well with your combo. I shoot the 3", and sometimes enviornmetal messes with the wad, and numbers do go down.

Easttnhunter01

What were ur numbers? I've been thinking about trying hevi 7s in my 935 with a .675 ic

ThunderChickenGetter

I was getting anywhere from 180-200 in a 10" circle at 40yds. By all means that's a dead turkey but I've been seeing a lot of people gettin in the upper 200's and into the 300's with the combo so I was wondering why mine wasn't getting there.

Gobble!

Probably due to the inconsistencies between HeviShots lots. One lot number would produce patterns in the 310-325 range while another would be 260-270 range.

BowBendr

That is odd. With that same combo I'm in the 310-330 range. Even with the more criticized lot numbers it never came under 290....
Crazy question: we are talking about Hevi Shot brand shells ?
The numbers your getting sound more on par with Federal " Heavy Weight" shells.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Gobble!

Make sure the wad strippers in that choke are clean too.

ThunderChickenGetter

BowBendr, yes I'm talking about Hevi 13 #7s. Every shell I've shot from my gun have only had between 180 and 200 hits.  They have all came from the same box though so maybe there was something weird about those shells.

ThunderChickenGetter

And Gobble I cleaned it really well after I shot the first one and it didn't pattern well and tried it again and got the same results!

BowBendr

With the numbers being that low, it's not a barrel/choke being clean issue.
Never heard of those numbers from a 3.5" shell.
Could you please tell us the lot number so we can see if anyone else here has shot them and if they had low counts also. TY.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

DirtNap647

are you sure you have the densest part of pattern of point

davisd9

How big is your target?

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SumToy

Ok that choke has did good in them guns along with a few others.  (think old lot of shells may be problem)

Now that and clean the barrel to get any oil or cleaning solvents  out.  Shoot big target and if that don't help try different lot of shells.  (we had on in the 160 to 180 range and change lot and it jump to almost 300.)
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA