OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strutting in Iowa

Started by chadly, March 07, 2015, 06:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

Seems really early but this am I saw a tom chasing a few hens in full strut.  About a half hour later in my travels I saw two toms at a distance all poofed up.  Not sure this means anything or maybe its even normal. 
chad

mgm1955

No matter what it means what a treat to see.

zelmo1

Strutting birds are always a welcome sight

Timmer

I'm traveling to Iowa in April for a family related event so I applied and got a tag.  Can't wait!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Big Guy

I'm in Iowa too and saw 2 toms with a couple of hens out feeding in the field next to where I work.  Not in strut but it was nice just to see them.

Timmer- just curious where in Iowa are you going?  They are turkeys all over this state!

Timmer

Quote from: Big Guy on March 08, 2015, 01:00:01 PM
Timmer- just curious where in Iowa are you going?  They are turkeys all over this state!

I'm staying in Iowa City and will be hunting zone 6.  I've been looking at aerial maps of public land and have picked out a few places to try. 
Timmer

Big Guy

I'm in CR about 20 minutes north of IC.  You might want to check out Hawkeye Wildlife Management Area.  It's about halfway between CR and IC.  I've never hunted it, but sometimes will see turkeys out in the fields on the east side off of I-380.  Here is a link to a thread a couple of years old so I don't know how good the info is, but it's something to look at.

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=858821

Timmer

Quote from: Big Guy on March 09, 2015, 10:33:56 PM
I'm in CR about 20 minutes north of IC.  You might want to check out Hawkeye Wildlife Management Area.  It's about halfway between CR and IC.  I've never hunted it, but sometimes will see turkeys out in the fields on the east side off of I-380.  Here is a link to a thread a couple of years old so I don't know how good the info is, but it's something to look at.

Thanks, it's on my list to look at, as well as points northwest along the whole Iowa River Corridor. 
Timmer

ghillie

Quote from: chadly on March 07, 2015, 06:14:13 PM
Seems really early but this am I saw a tom chasing a few hens in full strut.  About a half hour later in my travels I saw two toms at a distance all poofed up.  Not sure this means anything or maybe its even normal. 
chad

Not unusual for us or early at that time of year, could be in the 50's in the south and in the 30's in the north.  Just depends on the bird's and the areas. They are resonding to the length of days anyway but it's always refreshing to see at the end of winter for sure.

Quote from: Timmer on March 17, 2015, 07:36:22 PM
Quote from: Big Guy on March 09, 2015, 10:33:56 PM

Thanks, it's on my list to look at, as well as points northwest along the whole Iowa River Corridor.

Jusy FYI, the Hawkeye Wildlife Area (AKA the RES to the locals) is Fed land so non-tox shot. Be careful around there as it gets a crap ton of pressure. Also the further west you go from that area you get into the Amana Society Land and trust me, you don't want to be tresspassing on their turf.  The Society watchs that area very closely and have been know to prosecute.  One other tid bit about the Res, DO NOT and I say again DO NOT go near the timber covered hillside on the north side of the big water from I 380 to Greencastle Road on the gravel Amana road. That timber is where the....how do I say this.... 'the boys who like boys' go to to troll. They will park in the access areas (the signal) and go into the timber and wait for someone to stop. The second individual will then enter the woods and they....well...I will just stop right there. As a matter of fact, this last week we were flying north over the Res and witnessed a couple folks naked running around in the woods. Shocking to say the least and I actually ran into a naked man in the timber there while scouting/mushroom hunting, this was before I knew what the heck was going on about ten years ago. I went and reported it to the DNR and they just started laughing and told me there is a name for that place....they call it 'fairy hill'  Needless to say I was pissed because what if I had my daughter with me? Soooo just be aware of that.  Personally if I were you I would look around to the north east of Iowa City around Anamose area and around the Wapsi River. The artist Grant Wood used this area is inspiration and it is beautiful turkey ground all around there. Don't be afraid to knock on doors, lots of friendly people around here. Good luck!

jepcho

I saw 2 stutters when I was out driving around the other day here in Northern Iowa.  I've hunted a quite a bit of the state, literally from the Minnesota  border to the Missouri line but never had the opportunity to hunt the IC, CR area.  I've killed several birds along the Cedar river, just further north.  I know there is a ton of birds down in that area so you should be in for some fun.  Good luck

Matt

Quote from: Timmer on March 08, 2015, 08:52:10 AM
I'm traveling to Iowa in April for a family related event so I applied and got a tag.  Can't wait!

When exactly are you planning on hunting?  I may be able to help you out a little bit.

2eagles

My son was driving near a public hunting area Sunday AM. Called to tell me there was a flock of 40 -50 turkeys with a few strutting in sight of the road. Less than a 1/2 mile from a place I was scouting a couple weeks ago. Now I'm getting excited!

Timmer

Quote from: Matt on March 25, 2015, 04:32:26 AM
When exactly are you planning on hunting?  I may be able to help you out a little bit.

That would be awesome!  I'm in the area April 16th through 20th.
Timmer

Timmer

Quote from: ghillie on March 20, 2015, 03:17:43 PM

Jusy FYI, the Hawkeye Wildlife Area (AKA the RES to the locals) is Fed land so non-tox shot. Be careful around there as it gets a crap ton of pressure. Also the further west you go from that area you get into the Amana Society Land and trust me, you don't want to be tresspassing on their turf.  The Society watchs that area very closely and have been know to prosecute.  One other tid bit about the Res, DO NOT and I say again DO NOT go near the timber covered hillside on the north side of the big water from I 380 to Greencastle Road on the gravel Amana road. That timber is where the....how do I say this.... 'the boys who like boys' go to to troll. They will park in the access areas (the signal) and go into the timber and wait for someone to stop. The second individual will then enter the woods and they....well...I will just stop right there. As a matter of fact, this last week we were flying north over the Res and witnessed a couple folks naked running around in the woods. Shocking to say the least and I actually ran into a naked man in the timber there while scouting/mushroom hunting, this was before I knew what the heck was going on about ten years ago. I went and reported it to the DNR and they just started laughing and told me there is a name for that place....they call it 'fairy hill'  Needless to say I was pissed because what if I had my daughter with me? Soooo just be aware of that.  Personally if I were you I would look around to the north east of Iowa City around Anamose area and around the Wapsi River. The artist Grant Wood used this area is inspiration and it is beautiful turkey ground all around there. Don't be afraid to knock on doors, lots of friendly people around here. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.  I've got pretty good WMA maps for boundaries, and have a couple of sites around the Wapsi River on my list of places to check out.  Thanks!
Timmer