OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rooster XR 3in #5 review

Started by turkey buster, March 07, 2015, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

I found a box of the new Winchester Rooster XR shells in a 3in #5 load at a local store and decided to just try them out. I've shot the 2.75 6's out of a Browning A5 and like the results so figured let's try these also.

Pics will explain details

turkey buster

This picture is at 40 yards with my 20in barrel 870 with a Jellyhead .665 choke. This was free handed with no rest and aiming at a small circle. The numbers on the paper explain themselves.

turkey buster

turkey buster

The 20 yard pattern probably had 5-6 more in that open hole in the lower part of my poa but I just counted what I knew for a fact to be a shot hole

turkey buster

Different gun at 40. 1187 with 25in barrel and just a standard flush full choke. Wanted to see the results of you opened it up some choke wise.

turkey buster

All 3 shots would've resulted in kills with #5 lead at 1300fps but with the low numbers at 40 I'd say it's a safer bet to limit these shells to a range of 30 yards. (Sorry no 30 yard pics but I'm sure it's safe to assume here)

turkey buster

I just wanted to try them. I'm shooting the long beard 5's for turkey. Just wanted to see what difference there was

snapper1982

Quote from: owlhoot on March 07, 2015, 06:35:01 PM
Ok

Well with the Carlsons this load is good to 40
Posted so others may see it in case they might be a wondering

Just because it is good to 40 for you does not mean it is for everyone/gun that is why we pattern and continually tinker and test.

turkey buster

Just to clarify yes other choke and guns may do better than mine. I was just doing a review for me. I shot 2 different guns and a turkey choke and a regular full. Was it multiple chokes/guns? No but just a basis for other to see what I did with them.

Check my post on the 2.75in #6 Roosters with my old browning. It did good at 30 also, but chose not to shoot it at 40.