News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Guns vs Turkey Targets

Started by agturkey, March 06, 2015, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

Gun that hits where your not aiming...
Circling the most dense part of the pattern after the shot...
Needing a solid rest beside my knee...?

Sure glad I hunt with a turkey gun.

K9Doc

I am assuming this is sarcasm?
I have personally owned shotguns that do
Not shoot to point of aim.
Evaluation of best shotshell/choke combo
Is best done by using a standardized method
i.e.  pellets in 10"/20" and no large holes.
As far as a rest, I use one anytime I can!!!!
If it didn't excite me, I would slap a silly. A-- golf ball
around on Saturdays and drink beer!!!
:z-guntootsmiley:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Longshanks

Quote from: agturkey on March 06, 2015, 06:09:06 PM

That's just part of the process of sighting in a turkey gun. Not everyone shoots adjustable sights , scopes or red dots but if you have a gun that shoots super tight or the POA/POI is off it's a must. I have a few turkey guns I can shoot beads with but some of my best patterning guns required aftermarket sights and a sight in process to get where it needed to be.

g8rvet

Yeah, my Model 94 Winchester is a piece of junk.  I actually had to adjust the sights on it when I got it 30 + years ago.  Only killed enough deer to load down my F250 with it, twice.   :funnyturkey:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ericjames

Quote from: agturkey on March 06, 2015, 06:09:06 PM

LOL! I know what you mean. Some of mine might not be dead center, they might be an inch to either side of my POA. But what I can't understand is the most of the tss folks. They have a killer pattern but they hardly ever have a pattern that remotely close to center. I am not sure if its the cost of the shells leaves them not wanting to burn through shells to get it dead nuts on. I couldn't make myself hunt with a pattern that's off as much as some of them I see. I might burn through a ton of ammo every year but I know where my pattern is going when I squeeze the trigger. I understand being off to one side or the other a little bit but when the circle barely touches where you aimed there's something wrong.

agturkey

I was honestly just saying glad to have straight good shooting equipment.

K9Doc

No sir.
I apologize. I'm a little pissy tonight. I guess
I removed my post.
What guys are doing is experimenting.
Looking for optimal pattern consistency.
Again
I apologize
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

ericjames

Removed mine also.

It's no problem. It was just hard for me to justify loading tss if it wasn't gonna hit where I aim. I really was considering buying some shot this summer and just try it for myself.

Quick question. So if you change anything in the components it changes POI that much?. I was unaware of that with tss. I understand on rifles being a little off. See all my turkey guns I have been able to shoot federal HW, hevi shot, just about any lead and it doesn't move that much.

Gooserbat

Quote from: ericjames on March 06, 2015, 11:36:50 PM

Quick question. So if you change anything in the components it changes POI that much?. I was unaware of that with tss. I understand on rifles being a little off. See all my turkey guns I have been able to shoot federal HW, hevi shot, just about any lead and it doesn't move that much.

For the most part I've not had much pattern shift although a little has been noted. My goto loaf is fed hw 7 followed by long beards both hit the same place.  Win HV on the other hand shoots center pattern about 3" high.  Not a big deal as the HV is a wider patterning load, but with tighter patterns it could pose a problem.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BandedSpur

It was just hard for me to justify loading tss if it wasn't gonna hit where I aim.

Most of the TSS pix you see are taken while evaluating patterns and were shot before POI/POA adjustments have been made. And yes, changes in components and recipes will likely result in shooting to a different POI. I know a few guys that shoot beads, but the vast majority of TSS shooters utilize some sort of adjustable sights. I would not shoot it without a red dot sight - patterns are too tight for beads IMO. And I can assure you - guys that are willing to go to the trouble and expense of handloading TSS will have their guns shooting to POA before the trigger is pulled on a turkey.

ericjames

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 07, 2015, 08:39:00 AM
It was just hard for me to justify loading tss if it wasn't gonna hit where I aim.

Most of the TSS pix you see are taken while evaluating patterns and were shot before POI/POA adjustments have been made. And yes, changes in components and recipes will likely result in shooting to a different POI. I know a few guys that shoot beads, but the vast majority of TSS shooters utilize some sort of adjustable sights. I would not shoot it without a red dot sight - patterns are too tight for beads IMO. And I can assure you - guys that are willing to go to the trouble and expense of handloading TSS will have their guns shooting to POA before the trigger is pulled on a turkey.

Oh ok. I completely understand that then. I know with what I see from patterns, I would definitely have a red dot.

turkey buster

It's not just tss patterns you see like that on here. A lot of patterns posted including some of mine with LB's is off from poa.  I always post my best pattern even if it's not the one that hit dead center. Typically I shoot, adjust, shoot,etc.

That dirties the barrel and can cause them 160's to go to 140's fast. Unless you clean behind each shot your first generally will always be your best.

Now for hunters who know they shoot off their poa and don't correct it, shame on you!

ericjames

I understand that. If you might pull or something happens on the shot. I just tend to be very picky. I just strive for a pattern that's dead on or really close. It drives me crazy when I snap I trigger and go check the target and it's a few inches off center.

turkey buster

Quote from: ericjames on March 10, 2015, 09:14:14 AM
I understand that. If you might pull or something happens on the shot. I just tend to be very picky. I just strive for a pattern that's dead on or really close. It drives me crazy when I snap I trigger and go check the target and it's a few inches off center.

It drives you crazy, it makes me mad! I've sold guns before for not doing what I wanted them too lol! I've been so wishy washy on my set up this year I've spent a mini fortune to make a box of shells shoot good. Would've been cheaper to bought different shells. Lol! But the LB 5's are finally doing what I wanted them to do

ericjames

I've sold them also for not doing what I wanted. You say you have spent a small fortune. But think about it you have a fine collection of guns. Those 5's will rock ones world.