OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 or Other

Started by USMC0331, March 03, 2015, 09:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC0331

I'm looking to set up a 20 gauge for turkey hunting. I have called a few gunsmiths to get input on barrel length and other items that need to be done to make a consistent shooting (pattern) for turkey hunting. I am thinking either Rem. 870 or Benelli M2. I know there are a lot of complaints on the 870 due to quality control and as for the 870 it is mostly finish ( rust quickly)however I plan to cerakote, if equal work is done on both, is the Benelli going to have a $900. difference in pattern performance? I know that the Benelli is a auto which accounts for some of the price increase, I still would like to know if its that much better. Thanks for any information and I hope you all have a safe and successful turkey season.!

cutt down

Might consider the Franchi Affinity. It's considerably less than the M-2. It uses the mobil choke instead of the crio but it's the same inertia bolt with the spring in the forearm instead of the stock.

tree-rat sniper

Quote from: cutt down on March 04, 2015, 01:13:00 AM
Might consider the Franchi Affinity. It's considerably less than the M-2. It uses the mobil choke instead of the crio but it's the same inertia bolt with the spring in the forearm instead of the stock.

+1!  Just picked one up recently & love it.  Just got in a Carlson's .575 choke to try out.  Its made in the same factory as the M2, these are a lot of gun for the $$.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

alloutdoors

The 870 is a daily driver and the M2 is a sportscar. At the end of the day they will both get you there, the M2 just does it in style. I hunted with a 12ga 870 for years and it always got the job done, but I switched to a 20ga M2 before last season and couldn't be happier that I made the switch.

The Cohutta Strutter

There ain't gonna be a 900 dollar difference between the 2 at the pattern board.  Maybe a quarters worth and that could go either way, lol. :icon_thumright: Strutter
Anybody seen America lately?

surehuntsalot

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on March 04, 2015, 10:24:12 AM
There ain't gonna be a 900 dollar difference between the 2 at the pattern board.  Maybe a quarters worth and that could go either way, lol. :icon_thumright: Strutter

Amen to that
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

g8rvet

Just depends on what you like. I echo that it will not make much difference (if any) on the patterning board. Hold both guns and see which one fits you better. 

I went to BPS all set to buy another youth 870 to set up for myself (I had just set one up for daughter). After holding several guns, I came home with Weatherby SA-459.  Patterning is nearly identical with both guns and same load and same choke - the youth 870 was actually just a little better.  I just ended up wanting the Weatherby, I certainly did not need it.  Any gun, well cared for, will not cost you a ton when you go to sell it.  If you pay more upfront and you end up selling, you will get more for it.  That's how I look at it. Of course, if you are like most of us, you never sell them anyways, you just get more.  I wish I liked sitting at home and watching TV or gardening or something cheaper!   :funnyturkey:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

USMC0331

Thanks for the information everyone!!!