OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Answer Me This...

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 22, 2011, 04:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOOK KILLER

someone pm me with your email address and i will send you my pattern pics to post. I am kind of busy at the moment and dont have time to do all the steps with the photo bucket

Reloader

It actually does have to do with flow IMO.

My theory is the heavier shot charge takes up more space thus leaving less room for buffer.  The smaller shot charge takes up less space and leaves more room for buffer.  The buffer allows the shot to flow.  Less buffer=inhibited flow=more resistance=less efficiency.  To lower the resistance of the heavier load one needs to increase the ED when speaking of the same choke design.

This is the same principle when moving to larger shot sizes.  Larger shot=more resistance, to lower the resistance one needs a larger ED in the same design choke. An example: My 2-1/4oz hevi 6 handloads perform much better in a JH 665 vs a JH660. Tried it in several guns with diff EDs of the same choke design, even two of each ED of the same brand chokes and the results were the same.

This is commonly known as "over choking" to most.

I once took a light shot charge and increased the buffer amount to take up the space.  These were lower MV loads.  Comparing the higher buffer loads to the same loads with less buffer was an amazing difference.

When referring to the Nitro 2-7/16 loads, there's not a hull with enough capacity to increase the efficiency of the loads by adding buffer to lower the resistance in smaller EDs of the same design, so your only efficiency gains come from lowering resistance by going to a more open choke. That said, I don't personally feel you would ever get a good balance in efficiency from the choke alone thus the heavier payload will remain less efficient.

When loading your own, you can really get a grasp of what it takes to increase efficiency.  So much so that some loads become entirely too efficient.  I try to build the load to achieve the highest efficiency, then I tinker with chokes to bring the efficiency to a level I feel comfortable with for hunting.

That's my theory on the matter, hopefully it makes sense.

Have a good one,

Reloader

HOOK KILLER

I dont disagree with anyone's theroy I just know what my gum will do and I am happy with it.  I think the shorter barrel has something to do with the 660. working good in my gun.  I sent the pics to you slicky.  Thanks for posting them

HOOK KILLER

Thanks sicky. I got the POA fixed with a burris fastfire 2 so I should be ready to go now.  I am wondering if polishing the barrel will help any or not.  Seems like alot of work when I already have awesome patterns.  Any input?

HOOK KILLER

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 25, 2011, 09:07:57 AM
Quote from: HOOK KILLER on March 25, 2011, 08:33:36 AM
Thanks sicky. I got the POA fixed with a burris fastfire 2 so I should be ready to go now.  I am wondering if polishing the barrel will help any or not.  Seems like alot of work when I already have awesome patterns.  Any input?

If you are consistently getting those numbers at a true 40 yds, I wouldn't worry about a thing!

That is what i thought also  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Nimrodmar10

Thanks Reloader. The buffer is something I haven't ever considered. Just didn't think of it. I've never cut open an unfired Nitro, do they have buffer in them? That's something you can't see on a pattern sheet. I'm still not convinced I can't get a better pattern out of the H517Ts. Especially with the patterns Hook Killer is getting. I've shot the Rhino .660" in a 21" 11-87 with the 2 oz. load of 4,5,7s and a 26" 870 SM with the 2 7/16 oz loads. They both pattern better than the Mag Blends but not near the numbers Hook Killer is getting. I guess I'm going to have to try a Jelly Head.

Reloader

Yes, they have buffer in them.  I feel like you would like the 2-1/4oz loads more than the 2-7/16, but every gun is different.  I would go straight 7s as well, the 4x5 part of those shells is mere marketing as the 7s are doing the work.

Nimrodmar10

I like the 4,5,7 Load because the heavier 4s and 5s seem to drop into the body and break the body down  annd the 7s stay in the head/neck area. I

Nimrodmar10

I didn't think you shot the $7 shells Slick. :lol:

Let me ask you a question. If I've got my scope set right and my pattern centers where the crosshairs cross and if I aim at the junction of the red neck and feathers, where do the 4s and 5s in the bottom of the pattern hit the bird, in the head or the body. Unless he ducks his head, they'll hit him in the body. Now do you think a #7 pellet does as good a job of breaking large bones as a 4 or 5? And if I've got twice as many 7s as I do 4s and 5s I'm guessing most of the pellets that him him in the head and neck will be #7s. Unfortunately a lot of the #7s that hit him in the body never penetrate the feathers. A lot of them shake out on the tailgate when I put him in the truck.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The slickster is right.  

I would rather just have all 7's than the 4's or 5's.  

7's don't just shake out of a turkey either.  I know better.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1421.0.html

Gobble!

What's shaking out of him is the #8s and #9s nitro uses