turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

wormy chestnut box

Started by Ringbill, March 01, 2015, 08:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringbill

The name and material are not necessarily inviting but I bought one a decade ago in western North Carolina. Sweet sound. I've been reluctant to tote it in the field perhaps overly concerned about its strength. Oh yes, I have a padded pouch but that is currently filled by a vintage Ben Lee double hen box. Anybody have one of this type of wood and can relate any experience with it?  :angel9:

Ringbill

A quick search yielded two articles that said wormy chestnut is American chestnut that suffered a blight in the early twentieth century. And here I thought it was a separate species! Anyway, any experiences with this material will be appreciated. :morning:

ferocious calls

I make and love them. Great sounding wood when done rite.

callmakerman

I hunt with a Turpin box that I made myself a few years back that has nail holes and worm holes in it and there never been any issue plus it's a great sounding call.

Jacobson

Wormy Chestnut is one of the softer woods used for calls, I love the sound that it sends. It also is a very pretty wood to look at.

Gobbler2577

I've been building Cost style boxes for fifteen years and wormy chestnut is a favorite of mine.  I find myself keeping quiet about that wood though because it can be hard to come by.
Foreground is chinaberry, background is wormy chestnut.

Ringbill

Thanks, gentlemen! Real beauties, those calls. I think I can find room to take along the second box call. :camohat:

nyhunter

My son and I both have one built by Dale Rohm, The are by far one of the best sounding box calls I have. They both have had many answers both Gobbler and hen.

mgm1955

Got one from Irving Whitt that sounds awesome and i'm not worried about it's durability.

Britton40

Steve Mann Maple over Chestnut

hunter62

Chuck Anderson chestnut handled longbox

hunter22

I love that call Chuck. Can you say Big Nasty.

sfoxwoody

I have a Purple Heart/American Chestnut box from Lonnie Mabry, it sounds and looks incredible!

M22

Lonnie Maybry box = wormy chestnut /purple heart   Hoyt Brown pot & stikers = wormy chestnut
Excellent sound  sweet,sweet.

M22