OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best turkey hunters are from

Started by dirt road ninja, February 28, 2015, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byhalia

So far there are only a few right answers here

The "Good Ol Boyz" from Pennsylvania are by far No. 1
The facts are the facts !!!!!!!!   :icon_thumright:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

Dr Juice

The best turkey hunters are those who bring home a bird year after year in states with low densities. Not for nothing, the south has more birds because they donot contend with the harsh winters like the north.  :turkey2:

falltoms

:agreed:
Quote from: warrent423 on March 01, 2015, 02:32:59 PM
Seems their are fewer and fewer true "Turkey Hunters" each year, at least what I would consider turkey hunters. Any man that can consistently sit down against a tree and call highly pressured, "educated" turkeys to within  40 yards of the gun, and kill them, deserves respect in my book. No blinds, no decoys, no gimmicks, and no long range guns or shells. I don't pay much attention to those who can't. To each their own though.

idratherb

Strong Calls

Anybody ever tangled with a lowcountry swamp gobbler knows the answer to this simple question. SC and thanks to the NWTF and their efforts a LOT of other places have ole toms to chase. Those net cannons of years ago...... Done wonders for other states. My one wish is they wound give us our fall season back.

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: Byhalia on March 15, 2015, 01:22:32 PM
So far there are only a few right answers here

The "Good Ol Boyz" from Pennsylvania are by far No. 1
The facts are the facts !!!!!!!!   :icon_thumright:

No doubt.  If you kill one here...you can kill one anywhere!!!

Even Alaska!!

jwhunter

They sure ain't on this thread bragging about who is the best I can guarantee you that.

Garrett Trentham

Quote from: jwhunter on March 18, 2015, 08:26:12 PM
They sure ain't on this thread bragging about who is the best I can guarantee you that.

^likely true^

Basically you got three kinds responding to this thread; the one's that haven't done it long enough to be put in their place, the "holier than thou's" that know how everyone else should hunt and love to measure everyone accordingly, and the smart asses like myself that don't give a rip but find the pissing match amusing.

I say we should measure against a standard and not each other. 1) Ethicality 2) Legality 3) Productivity  in that order. For those that may not understand productivity, let me explain. This does not refer to killing turkeys but instead putting back more than you take -> productivity. I'm relatively certain none of us hunt turkeys just to kill them, some subsistence hunters maybe, but in this day and age even they are doing that by choice. We get so much more than meat out of our hunts, so be productive and give back more than you take.

In my mind, a hunter that is ethical by respecting the game they pursue, is legal by purchasing appropriate licenses that fund conservation efforts and hunts within the legal seasons and bag limits that have been set by sound conservation minded science, and works to put back more game than they take is as good of a hunter as has or will ever walk this earth.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Cutt

Very tough question to anwser, honestly can't see where hunters from one State collectively are better than those from other States? All States have good turkey hunters and bad turkey hunters, bad as in rude, inconsiderate or simply just hunt because they have a tag, but don't know much about it.

So my opinon, is the best turkey hunters come from various areas that have to deal with bad turkey hunters on a regular basis. Like Public Land with high hunter numbers that has constant pressure on birds, that one must adapt to. As these areas with high hunter numbers produce many bad turkey hunters, but also produce some of the best turkey hunters, regardless what State your in.

busta biggun

Quote from: Garrett Trentham on March 18, 2015, 08:51:49 PM
Quote from: jwhunter on March 18, 2015, 08:26:12 PM

^likely true^

Basically you got three kinds responding to this thread; the one's that haven't done it long enough to be put in their place, the "holier than thou's" that know how everyone else should hunt and love to measure everyone accordingly, and the smart asses like myself that don't give a rip but find the pissing match amusing.

Well said Garrett and JW!

trackerbucky

Quote from: falltoms on March 16, 2015, 09:12:59 PM
:agreed:
Quote from: warrent423 on March 01, 2015, 02:32:59 PM
Seems their are fewer and fewer true "Turkey Hunters" each year, at least what I would consider turkey hunters. Any man that can consistently sit down against a tree and call highly pressured, "educated" turkeys to within  40 yards of the gun, and kill them, deserves respect in my book. No blinds, no decoys, no gimmicks, and no long range guns or shells. I don't pay much attention to those who can't. To each their own though.

Boy don't I know it.  Why those guys who use shotguns, camo and "turkey calls" shouldn't even be called turkey hunters.  The way to "hunt" turkeys is to wear a loin cloth, use mud for camo, call using nothing but your voice...and call 'em in close enough to kill with your bare hands.  Now that's turkey hunting!!!  I don't pay much attention to those who can't. To each their own though.

:funnyturkey:
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.