OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best turkey hunters are from

Started by dirt road ninja, February 28, 2015, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgm1955

I live in MO, but I would probably say the SE. SC, ALA, GA, MS. More old time turkey hunting and turkey knowledge and fewer birds than several other regions.

Rwgrobe

Are you talking going one on one with the turkey are blind hunting with decoys? Two different kinds of hunting with blind hunting over decoys does not require much skill as outwitting a bird with just a call and sweet talking them in.

hunter22

The best turkey killers are from states that have a lot of turkeys. I don't care how good a caller/hunter you are you cannot kill a bird that does not exist. I have been in several turkey camps in different states and the best I have seen were from Arkansas and Louisiana.

Gumby

I am biased but don't sleep on Arkansas

Rick Howard

I am knew to turkey hunting so I have guess.  I think this is an interesting topic though.  Glad to see it has not turned into a typed version of a fist fight.

It has raised some questions for me though. 

Lucky Clucker

North Carolina has some good hunters also. The public land birds get hammered and if you can all one of those in you good.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

bammerslammer 50

I would have to say Alabama as well as the rest of the southeast. I can think of a good many big names that come from Alabama. The top 2 and the first that come to mind are Doug camp and Eddie salter. Some big names out of Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana as well.

Xtrema30

Man im gonna have to go with Louisiana. The population of hunters to turkeys is crazy on tne public land. A good turkey hunter is one that can outsmart and consistently
Kill these pressured birds that have heard everything. The avg guy with avg woods skils can be a avg-good on a private lease with a ton of birds. I was always told "a bunch of turkeys makes
A good turkey hunter" and i agree but i still think if you can kill anything in LA be it a deer a turkey, or ducks you will be successful anywere in the country

TnTurk

I have hunted most of the southern states, and in my opinion those birds in southern Alabama can cause a married man to find himself in divorce court real quick like. I spent most of my nights sleeping on the couch during turkey season.

Bowguy

I'm from the north but would have to agree it's the southeast. We've only had a season since the 80s. Though I've hunted since than I believe the basics with no one to show you were harder to learn. The traditions and handing it down, down south I believe helped

Bama turkey hunter

Alabama all the way you got to be good to hunt these birds and half billy goat to walk these mountains.
Tony

WildSpur

Pennsylvania.   I am surprised nobody knew!

Cluck more, yelp less

GobbleNut

It certainly appears to me that the southeastern states have many more dedicated turkey hunters than the rest of the country,...and dedication to any form of hunting breeds skill and success.  There are really good turkey hunters scattered all across the country, however. 

Put a dedicated turkey hunter from anywhere in the country in any location,...and give them time to familiarize themselves with the birds and habitat,...and they will adapt and be able to kill turkeys there.  Turkey hunting ain't rocket science.  Anybody that wants to put in the time and effort to learn can be a great turkey hunter.  With all the modern innovations and tools available for todays hunter, all it takes is dedication. 

owlhoot

Missouri
           short season which most of the time doesn't coincide with prime gobblin.
3 weeks of henned up toms usually.  1/2 days to hunt.  One bird only the first week.
Hard pressured birds.  Mushroom hunters everywhere.
Population way down now.
Still put up good kills.

And maybe Alabama cuz aint no turkeys down there! UNLESS to0 good they killed them all!! ;)

BigGobbler