OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best turkey hunters are from

Started by dirt road ninja, February 28, 2015, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

Was having a discussion with a friend about this the other day and we pretty much agreed. Where on average would you say the best turkey hunters are from, by state or region? I'm from LA and would not pick my home state as having the best turkey hunters by any stretch. We have some good ones, but a lot of the ones I've meant made me embarrassed to call myself a turkey hunter. 
   IMO the S.E. reigns supreme over all for producing the best turkey hunters in the country. Of the states in that region, in my mind Alabama produces the highest number of turkey slayers per capita with 2nd being a 4 way tie between Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
   I hope everybody replies with their honest opinions and not just root for their home state. I'm truly interested in seeing what y'all think on this subject.

davisd9

I agree that Bama is one an then I think I would say SC or Georgia. Then Ms. Not sure after that. A lot of other states just do not have the population or turkey hunting tradition of those 4 states. I know every state produces some great hunters but the knowledge passed down in those 4 just makes a larger number of great hunters, IMO.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Hooksfan

It's hard not to be partial to where I was raised. I am originally from Louisiana as well and I would be willing to bet you aren't from Livingston or St Helena parishes or else your opinion may be a little different. I won't disagree with your assessment of Alabama considering the rich tradition down there. I also lived in North Louisiana and there wasn't nearly the tradition or as many hardcore hunters mainly because the southeast portion of the state was the area that historically held birds.
Today, I live in Missouri and there are a good number of folks that know what they are doing.  My list would include Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri. But the best I would still honestly say were from Livingston Parish Louisiana.
Maybe I was just lucky enough to be raised around some old timers that were on a first name basis with some of the legendary figures of turkey hunting.

daymude7288

That's easy West Virginia!! Them ol mountain top gobblers ain't stupid and your are gonna work your tail off hiking those hills.

Gooserbat

The best turkey hunters are from where you hunt Easterns and probably south of the Mason Dickson Line.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

West Augusta

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 28, 2015, 08:47:39 PM
The best turkey hunters are from where you hunt Easterns and probably south of the Mason Dickson Line.

X2
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

dirt road ninja

Your are correct Hooksfan, I'm not from Livingston or St. Helena parish, but I was in a club in that area. I'm from Jefferson Parish - not a bird within 60 miles of my house.

Blong

The southeast definetly, Al,La,Ms,Ga,Sc,Fl. You dont see many oos hunters visiting these states to hunt unless they are from one of them. I have hunted easterns in Mo,NC, and Tn and though they are easterns, they are not the same bird we hunt down here. If you can get it done in the 6 I named, you can kill one anywhere! Should be called the Dixie Slam.

hookedspur

Easy. West Virginia has the hardest ground to hunt and not a over abundance of birds to hunt.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

silvestris

I am from Louisiana and there are/were some real turkey killers from Livingston Parish.  The Florida Parishes have always had some great turkey hunters, but that area geographically is but an extension of Southwest Mississippi.  I would have to place that area's hunters near the top.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Roost 1

I'll pick 10 from KY nobody has heard of and put them against anybody's else's 10... Just saying.

West Augusta

Quote from: hookedspur on February 28, 2015, 09:06:18 PM
Easy. West Virginia has the hardest ground to hunt and not a over abundance of birds to hunt.
We may not be the best turkey hunters but our birds will get you in shape for sure.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

yelpaholic

dawgfrombama

I would go with my home state of Alabama.  There are some old timers in South Alabama that are deadly in the spring woods and have passed that tradition down to their children.  I live in Kentucky now and there are some good ones here too.  My top 5 would be AL, MS, GA, KY, and TN.

ozarkhooks

I know some top notch turkey hunters here in missouri but would probably say the true spirited turkey hunters are from much further south.