OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Field and Stream: Sadler's article

Started by SCGobbler, February 26, 2015, 11:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

Does anyone hold the striker like the article mentions?  I have never held a striker like this mentions.

Does someone have a video of what he men's to hold the striker and the "bream hook" motion?

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I am always looking for a way to screw myself up!  ????

Sent from The Gobbler's Roost using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Chris Downs

I do. It was a little weird at first but it did add to my calling for sure. I saw it on YouTube a couple of years ago a started trying his techniques. Took some practice and I'm still not great but Im getting better with it. Check it out on YouTube. He has several calling videos on there.

slwayne

Yeah, I saw it on one of his You Tube videos.  I've tried it and it just feels weird to me.  Also, my hand seems to contact the playing surface more holding the striker this way.  Don't like getting oils from my skin on the playing surface, especially a slate surface.  I'm always up for trying something new but this one wasn't a keeper for me.

ncturkey

You must be comfortable with holding your striker. I try different ways of hold my strikers. I use a varied method of holding my striker. It works for me.

Sadler McGraw

You can Google turkeyhunter1972 on YouTube and there are several old friction tutorials I did when I was with Woodyhaven.   They explain, how I yelp, cackle, Keekee and cluck purr.   These are basically the same stuff that is written in that article. 

Everyone has always thought the way I do stuff on friction is unorthodox, but it works for me.  I just think that 99% of the people are wrong and Im right!!!! lol

Sadler
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

ericjames

Quote from: Sadler McGraw on March 02, 2015, 03:27:13 PM
You can Google turkeyhunter1972 on YouTube and there are several old friction tutorials I did when I was with Woodyhaven.   They explain, how I yelp, cackle, Keekee and cluck purr.   These are basically the same stuff that is written in that article. 

Everyone has always thought the way I do stuff on friction is unorthodox, but it works for me.  I just think that 99% of the people are wrong and Im right!!!! lol

Sadler

I like the way you put that.

mgm1955

howl

It just takes greater manual dexterity than 99% have to pull it off. I sure wish I could do it. I get real annoyed with my fingers not doing what I tell them to do.

If anyone needs motivation to try to learn that style, watch this http://youtu.be/0hatgysfILM and compare that fly-down to what everyone else tried.