OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 gauge on the cheap

Started by dark horse, February 24, 2015, 11:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dark horse

Just to possibly help someone not wanting to spend a ton on loads and chokes,  Every 20 gauge I have is a bonafide 40 yard turkey killing machine w/ Federal HW 7's and a standard modified factory choke.

alloutdoors

What are your 40 yard numbers in a 10" circle? Let's see some patterns...

g8rvet

I am glad for ya. My daughter's 870 youth with a Remington full choke and Fed HW #7 is not a 40 yard gun.  30, yes.  40, no.

So to anyone reading this, please pattern your gun and know what it can do. You owe it to the turkey.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BowBendr

This is why we have a self-imposed 40 yard limit here on OG.
The OP is really a broad statement that doesn't cover every gun out there....

Chilly

I don't get it....question, statement, or offer?
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: g8rvet on February 24, 2015, 12:32:49 PM
I am glad for ya. My daughter's 870 youth with a Remington full choke and Fed HW #7 is not a 40 yard gun.  30, yes.  40, no.

So to anyone reading this, please pattern your gun and know what it can do. You owe it to the turkey.   

get your hands on a tighter turkey choke and it will be a 40yd gun
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FullChoke

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 24, 2015, 11:49:23 PM
+1  :icon_thumright:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

dark horse

Quote from: alloutdoors on February 24, 2015, 12:23:04 PM
What are your 40 yard numbers in a 10" circle? Let's see some patterns...

Don't have any idea on numbers.  Take my 20 gauge 870, M1, M2, or Franchi 620 with the modified choke and shoot at a crude drawing of a turkey head at 40-45 yards and that head has 10-20 holes in the head and neck every single time.  I'm well aware that tighter pattens can be achieved, this post was for the regular Joe turkey hunter looking for a 20 gauge load that works well without breaking the bank on aftermarket chokes.

g8rvet

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 24, 2015, 11:49:23 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on February 24, 2015, 12:32:49 PM

I did.  And it is.  Just not for her.  I wanted her pattern to be a little more open. As I have it set up for her, it is a 30 yard gun-by design. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.