turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poa/poi change

Started by turkey buster, February 22, 2015, 07:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Has anyone other than me seen patterns be dead on and then go shoot again and maybe hit low, low left, right, etc? I'm seeing this in my 40 yard shots and wondering if it's just poor shooting by myself or the pattern shifting slightly. It's never off enough to miss a turkey, but the core of the pattern I'd count in the 10 isn't always where I aim.

Oconeeguy

Yessiree. Happened to me yesterday BPS with IC .665.  The core pattern of Every shot had been high by about 3-4 inches in the 11 or 12 o'clock position. Yesterday the core of every pattern( mag lends, Hevi #6, Fed Turkey Thug), were all  6 inches from the POA and in the 4 o'clock position!,

My aftermarket sights MIGHT be off, although I can't see how that could have happened. Needless to say I will be checking everything out again before opening day.  >:(

dirt road ninja

Only if something came loose or broke.

Ihuntoldschool

This is interesting.  I think there can be a slight variation from one shell to the next depending on how the wad opens up. Sort of reminds me of when you shoot groups with one of those other weapons, the "r" word, you take the average or center or median or whatever of several shots. I expect the same deviation with shotgun shells.  Also, the front sight probably covers a fair amount of target at 40 yards, so aiming may not be as precise as we would like or think it is sometimes. Different light conditions can change the way you shoot with open sights as well, overcast and cloudy vs. bright and sunny makes a difference.  Lots of factors to consider.

I am curious as to how far the point of impact shifts?

turkey buster

I've noticed a change of 5-6 inches at 40 yards. Like I said nothing to cost me a turkey, but if I'm gonna go through the trouble to use after market sights and work on patterning then I want it to be as accurate every shot I take. I'm not the steadiest shot at 40 yards but I am using a trigger stick and not wobbling unless there's a flinch factor I'm unaware of.

Ihuntoldschool

I do not think it is flinch.   If it stays consistent up close, say 10-15 yards then I would not worry about it.  There is a reason POI is tested up close say 12-15 yards, it is much easier to aim and the front sight covers less of your target. If it varied by 5-6 inches from shot to shot at close range, I would consider it a problem, but at 40 not so much. I would chalk it up to the randomness of shotgun patterns and the fact that the front sight covers a substantial amount of target at 40 yards, not so much up close.

I agree with your post on the other topic about focusing to much on the 10 inch circle and the #s. Like you said the thing that stood out was a dead turkey.

turkey buster

This is why we go and shoot the guns. I like the idea of high numbers but I want good hunting patterns too. Defiantly will do my best to limit my shots to 30 and in.

Soon as warmer weather gets here I'm gonna check the poa/poi at the 20-30 range some. Do a little less shooting at 40 yards and shoot some hunting yardages.

turkey buster

I'll add after careful thought that my idea of super high 10's about had me messed up and talked out of a good hunting set up.

Ihuntoldschool

I could not agree more about a good hunting pattern.   Sure I want to kill birds at 40 when necessary but I like a little forgiveness in the pattern for closer shots as well.  Turkeys move their heads pretty quick without warning.   Definitely not all about #s in my opinion. More concerned with evenness and the placement of the pellets than the total count in a circle. We are not exactly shooting still target competitions here.

SumToy

The weather will affect the poa/poi.  The speed of shell will affect it also.  Now the choke can also have a big affect.  If over choked it will walk around on the target.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

turkey buster

Quote from: SumToy on February 23, 2015, 07:29:11 AM
The weather will affect the poa/poi.  The speed of shell will affect it also.  Now the choke can also have a big affect.  If over choked it will walk around on the target.

.660 with 5's wouldn't be over choked bad enough for that would it? I just bought a choke of yours on the classifieds here. It's a.665 and I ordered a jellyhead .665 and will see if the .005 makes a difference. I sound wishy washy and would love 180's with this load, but what I mostly want is a consistent hunting pattern whether it be 130-180 as long as it's true shot after shot and where I aim.

Skeeterbait

Don't overlook the breeze moving your pattern around a few inches at 40 yards.  It really does not take that much.

goblr77

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Oconeeguy on February 22, 2015, 08:13:55 PM
Yessiree. Happened to me yesterday BPS with IC .665.  The core pattern of Every shot had been high by about 3-4 inches in the 11 or 12 o'clock position. Yesterday the core of every pattern( mag lends, Hevi #6, Fed Turkey Thug), were all  6 inches from the POA and in the 4 o'clock position!,

My aftermarket sights MIGHT be off, although I can't see how that could have happened. Needless to say I will be checking everything out again before opening day.  >:(

What brand and model of gun are you shooting?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Oconeeguy

Sadly, my favorite turkey rig - 26" BPS with IC .665 choke. Both had been deep cleaned beforehand. Thinking a bump of some sort getting it out of the safe. Anyway, it's hoing to cost me some expensive shells to figure out and fix. Soooo busy haven't had a chance to REALLY inspect it close with a magnifying glass, but will when I get back home this weekend.

I have been shooting this combo for a couple hrs now. Perhaps I have a flinch   :angry9: