turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

? for Gitzit or anybody else that can help

Started by TarheelTurk, March 22, 2011, 12:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarheelTurk

got my lathe up( Thanks for everyones help up to this point) & running messed around with some free stuff but i def gotta get the smaller tools. Anyway my ? is using the screw center chuck how do u remove the wood inside your soundboard pedestal ? i was wondering b/C if i need a special tool i wanna pick up all up @ the same time.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

TarheelTurk

Quote from: Gitzit69 on March 22, 2011, 01:02:27 AM
I use my parting tool and get as close to the screw as I can without hitting the screw. . After turning is when I drill the center hole out bigger. That will usually clear it out.
Dave

Thanks a bunch! The parting tool is one of the tools I've got to purchase. The guy i bought my lathe from gave me several tools but he was turning bigger stuff than pot calls so gonna have to downsize a lil. Thanks again for your help.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

cleanslate

I don't use a screw chuck, but I also use a parting tool for most of the work on the inside of my calls.

JThomas

Quote from: cleanslate on March 22, 2011, 08:43:42 PM
I don't use a screw chuck, but I also use a parting tool for most of the work on the inside of my calls.
x2

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: cleanslate on March 22, 2011, 08:43:42 PM

Ditto.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TarheelTurk

Thanks so much everyone!! This helps a bunch, I knew from what i,ve just practiced turning/read on here that i was definitely gonna have to get a parting tool. I believe everyone was saying about 1/8" would do most everything needed for pot call? Or do i need to get 2 diffrent sizes? hadnt completed a call as of yet but have enjoyed turning the outside of a few "free blanks " i got from my buddy.Thanks again

lightsoutcalls

I buy a set of gouges from Grizzly tool that runs about $59 for 5 or 6 gouges.  This set has all of the gouges I use in turning my calls and strikers.  The parting tool in it is 3/32" wide and is what I use to gauge the width of my "shelf" that holds my surface.  They aren't the most expensive tools around, but are the mid-size gouges so I don't feel like I am wrestling a baseball bat with a sharpened steel point.  ;D
I go through a set about once a year, but for the price, I don't think you can beat them.  I have turned over a thousand pots with these tools.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TarheelTurk

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on March 23, 2011, 04:51:59 PM
I buy a set of gouges from Grizzly tool that runs about $59 for 5 or 6 gouges.  This set has all of the gouges I use in turning my calls and strikers.  The parting tool in it is 3/32" wide and is what I use to gauge the width of my "shelf" that holds my surface.  They aren't the most expensive tools around, but are the mid-size gouges so I don't feel like I am wrestling a baseball bat with a sharpened steel point.  ;D
I go through a set about once a year, but for the price, I don't think you can beat them.  I have turned over a thousand pots with these tools.
Thanks for that ! it sounds good to me especially since im just starting to turn calls (but enjoying it so far ) You guys are a tremendous help in getting started.THANKS again!!
BTW i understand what your saying about the baseball bat  :agreed:

TarheelTurk

Can you point me in the right direction for the tool set your refering to please. Is it Grizzly Industries?

pappy

You'll be looking for this site.....
www.grizzlytools.com
I agree with everyone you do not have to spend a load on chisels, as you will be running through them pretty fast once you get started. One thing, if you have a lathe thatis large enough to accomidate a four jaw chuck, that would save you bunches of time. And pick up a 1" set of jaws for it as it will turn down small enough on the out side edge to fit within the "ledge" area of your pots so you can work the back without having to change sets. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Crutch

The 4 jaw I picked up for 80 something has a screw attachment with it that fits inside the 4 jaw chuck. Sometimes I screw the blank on up to the inside/outside clamp to get it square then finish everything except the back side. Then I unscrew it and remove the screw attachment from the chuck and use the inside jaws and clamp on the pedistel or use it as an outside jaw and clamp onto the inside of the pot.  I open the screw hole with the parting tool and cut out the debris for lack of a better word.  This method keeps me from having to change jaws while working on a pot.  IDK if it is a good way to do it but it works for me and I am having a blast and not really into the business of selling pots.

FYI, when you get one that sings and a veteran turkey hunter says he loves it, you are going to feel so good.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

TarheelTurk

:thanks: Tool Set ordered tonight. Thanks a bunch to for all the advice. Pappy & crutch thanks for the chuck info. Concerning a chuck (so i can keep my eye out for one) I have a full sized 12 "craftsman lathe #1 MT( idk if i posted it here or on THO forum which im also a member... hope no one gets mad about that here.) I picked the lathe up off craigslist. THANKS AGAIN

TarheelTurk

Sorry it the wrong button LOL what are the specs besides what pappy already told me about the jaws do i need to look for in one to purchase?

TarheelTurk

Im gonna definitely begin to look for a chuck(BTW that is some nice lathe BLING LOL), Thanks for the heads up on what to look for.