turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Getting started turning pot calls

Started by wvlimbhanger, February 20, 2015, 01:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvlimbhanger

For the last several springs I have just bought pre-cut pots and materials from brookside, did the finish work and then gooped them all together.  Usually make about 20-25 calls each spring.  I want to move up and start turning my own pots on a lathe.  My brother-in-law has a jet 1015 lathe that is still in my father-in-law's garage.  Neither of them do anything with it so it is there for my using.  Not sure what they ever made with it but it's there none the less. 

Anyways I am trying to find answers to the following questions:

What chuck is best/easiest for a beginner to use to hold the pot?

What hand tools are needed to cut the call blank round?

What hand tools are needed to cut the inside of the call blank out?

What other tools will I need? (My dad has a woodworking shed so I have access to a drill press and band saw.  Plan is to move the lathe to his shop.)

Thanks,

Nathan

mastevt

Well, I'm probably not the best one to give advise on lathe turning pots since I don't turn my pots, and I don't have a lathe.  I have a shopsmith, that I do a lot of work on, but the actual pot work is done on a jig I made for my router table.  Anyways, a lot of guys will probably will chime in also, but to answer your questions a bit,  There is several ways to turn a pot, and I have done a few on the SS.  I cut my blanks using a 4 in whole saw that has been modified.  Once the blank is cut, you can use several different set up from that point on a lathe, with different chucks.  Probably the easiest, and the way I do it, is I use a Barracuda chuck, and hold the rough blank from the outside, machine out the guts, and then turn the pot around, and then do the inside.  Here's the kit I have. http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-CSC3000C-Barracuda-System/dp/B000KIACTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424518115&sr=8-1&keywords=barracuda+lathe+chuck

As for lathe chisels, you should already have them, if they have the lathe, but if not, this is what I use, I have all three, and nothing more, and it does everything I need to do.   http://www.rockler.com/carbide-mini-turning-tool-3-piece-set
These are very sharp, and never need sharpening.  You just buy a new insert.  The inserts will chip if you drop them on the floor or bang them against something hard, so handle them with care.

You mentioned your dad has a drill press and band saw, so your pretty much set up.  You don't need a 4in whole saw if you got a band saw, just use it. 

Another option on turning is using a forsner  bit to cut the inside of the pedestal first.  Then use the smaller expanding jaws to clamp outward on the hole, and machine the outside first, then turn it around and machine the inside.   Some guys I know use an expanding collet type mandrell for holding the blank.  Again, its something your gonna have to experiment with, and find what you like best.  Have fun with it, and expect to have set backs like ruining a blank or two while your experimenting.  It's how you learn. 

Have fun, and if ya have anymore questions, just ask, I'd be glad to help ya out, and others will as well.   Scott.

M,Yingling

Go check Tho site out tons of info over their to get started ,,, lots of different ways of doing it
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Spur806

The lathe I started with, and one I still use was a 1015,  I use a collet chuck and a expanding mandrell, I believe the mandrell came from flint hill duckworks, I could be wrong on the name, I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong on the name, I cut my blanks with holesaw, or on the bandsaw, bore a 5/8 hole and chuck it, turn either side and I also finish the call on this setup, but that's just my way, there are quite a few different ways

Bob Palmer

Lots of different ways to get the job dome! M Yingling is spot on...check out the tho forums in the tutorial sections.

wvlimbhanger

Thanks for all the help. I checked out THO and have a much better plan now. Picked up a 75mm 4 jaw chuck for gripping inside and a cole jaw for holding the outside of pot. Also got a couple tools.  Plan to make intial circle with a hole saw and go from there. Hopefully weather can break soon to get some stuff set up and practice. I'm excited for where this can go, hopefully the learning curve is not too steep.

pappy

so glad to see new blood, the experiences you are about to go through will train you in a way unlike any video or book will and I am certain if you approach your call making by seeing your finished products before you pick up the first tool or turn that lathe on...never turn on the lathe or pick up a hunk of wood without any idea of what it is you are going to make, how it will look how it will sound foresee the appeal and you will never go blindly into a project. Depending on your experience on the lathe, and the type of pot call you want to make, will dictate what tools and "short-cuts" you will take. Since I make single sided and dual sided pots I have several different ways of attacking the project.....using the holesaw is a great way to get the basics down, get yourself a digital set of vernier calipers always take notes, measure constantly and keep those measurements for a record to go back to if something goes awry. Using basic tools will save you time, they do not have to be the most expensive either, one tip, square up you blank, both sides, before you drill out with the hole saw, then mount it in your larger chuck, and take off any meat on the pedestal ....you know what? I could type all day, but you could call me 5736882306 anytimne and we could talk,,,
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

wvlimbhanger

Thanks for the offer pappy, I am sure you will be hearing from me in the coming week or two.

I hope to get things set up and started saturday

mmclain

get a book on woodturning and READ IT!!!! cover to cover.....you will be doing centerwork for strikers and Facework for pots.....which if you use the wrong tool will make your life harder and will also result in large amounts of frustration and splinters of wood in the floor....proper method wood turning is an essential part of producing pot calls that "work" over and over again in a timely manner....

also do not go buy a "set" of wood turning tools...purchase each tool individually with thought and in relationship to its use/uses.....

parting tool 1/8"
flat scraper
round nose scraper
roughing gouge of at least 3/4" preferably bigger
skew
detail gouge/spindle gouge

8" slow speed grinder
sharpening jigs for grinder because you'll never get the grind right or keep it right if you don't....sharp tools and proper presentation to the work will keep sanding to a minimum....

matt