OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hallorans metal mouth crystal call

Started by scoot12, February 19, 2015, 01:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoot12

Just wanted to give a quick review of the metal mouth from David,  first he hit it on the head when he says it has a thump on the back end.  With the one piece ipe striker he sends there is nice rasp and you really get that back end thump.  With the two piece purpleheart striker,  you get a higher front end and still get that thump but not quite as distinct as with the one piece ipe striker.  It cutts aggressively and it purrs with great ease.  Scoot

allchokedup

I picked up one at the NWTF Convention and it is just that, gives a good thump at the end of the yelp...real nice pot call that will be in my vest this year. I like a zebra wood striker with this call also. It gives me a little bit of a high pitch and just enough rasp at the end.  I like this call the best out of the other ones I bought from David in the past. Its a good one!
Thanks Scoot for the review.

perrytrails

Been running mine for two days now. I really like the IPE striker too. One of his Ebony strikers sounds great on it also. Great call.

Bowguy

Quote from: allchokedup on February 19, 2015, 05:37:23 PM
I picked up one at the NWTF Convention and it is just that, gives a good thump at the end of the yelp...real nice pot call that will be in my vest this year. I like a zebra wood striker with this call also. It gives me a little bit of a high pitch and just enough rasp at the end.  I like this call the best out of the other ones I bought from David in the past. Its a good one!
Thanks Scoot for the review.
How does it compare to the Crystal Mistress? That call is pretty awesome, I almost can't imagine it being better. You mentioned his other calls so if you have the two what's the difference sound wise?

scoot12

The metal mouth is a little lower pitched and sound more like an older raspy hen.  I wouldn't call it better then the crystal mistress but it has a different sound.  It is true that as far as pot calls go the rollover in the yelp is effortless,  probably because of the soundboard.  Scoot

birdyhunter

I played it at Nwtf as well. While it is a fine sounding call It just doesn't sound all that much better than my crystal mistress. At least not enough to justify spending that much on another pot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bowguy

tha bugman

I personally think it sounds better than the crystal mistress.  Definitely a different sound