OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tips on cleaning Indian Creek choke

Started by LARRYHAYNES, February 18, 2015, 11:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARRYHAYNES

I've used several different chokes but never the IC. I did however find that after shooting it the one day I got a chance to it had a lot of build up inside the choke especially in the 30 parallel ports. IT took me about an hour to get all of it cleaned out. I love the choke and don't mind having to clean it but those of you who have them do yall have some advice on cleaning. Thanks
LARRY

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

ARJellyHead

WD40 and an old toothbrush.  Let the WD40 sit for 10 minutes or longer before using the brush.  Rinse with warm water and let it dry completely before putting it back in your gun.

LARRYHAYNES

Yea while I was cleaning it I thought about using the air compressor to blow it out. Makes sense
LARRY

Gobble!

I don't worry about the ports as much as I do about the internal wad strippers. They can get pretty clogged and drastically effect pattern so I use a brass brush. That seems to get most of the crap out of the ports as well.

dirt road ninja

bbcoach

Since the IC choke is a wad stripping choke, the parallel ports will strip and hold a lot of plastic when shot frequently.  I have found that brake cleaner and an old nylon toothbrush will clean the choke really well.  Spray the choke with the brake cleaner, which will breakdown the plastic, and scrub the choke inside and out.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: LARRYHAYNES on February 18, 2015, 11:49:37 PM
I've used several different chokes but never the IC. I did however find that after shooting it the one day I got a chance to it had a lot of build up inside the choke especially in the 30 parallel ports. IT took me about an hour to get all of it cleaned out. I love the choke and don't mind having to clean it but those of you who have them do yall have some advice on cleaning. Thanks

The best method I've found to clean a severely fouled choke is to place in it a jar, a pint or 1/2 pint jar will work, filled with Hoppe's #9, cap the jar and let it soak. The Hoppe's will dissolve the plastic and other "gunk". You can then use a brass/bronze brush to run through it and remove what's left.

I recommend leaving that Hoppe's in the jar as a "dedicated" removal system. Even when that Hoppe's is quite dirty looking, it still works. You can always pour off the cleaner liquid, save it and discard the junk at the bottom of the jar as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

goblr77

Quote from: bbcoach on February 19, 2015, 08:06:24 AM
Since the IC choke is a wad stripping choke, the parallel ports will strip and hold a lot of plastic when shot frequently.  I have found that brake cleaner and an old nylon toothbrush will clean the choke really well.  Spray the choke with the brake cleaner, which will breakdown the plastic, and scrub the choke inside and out.

Brake cleaner works well. I use it along with a brass brush.

Bama turkey hunter

Tony

budtripp

Kroil and a brush work pretty well for me.

mcgruff1533

I soak mine in a jar of Acetone and clean it with an old 12 ga bore brush and tooth brush.   It comes out spotless.

Sako358

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 19, 2015, 08:48:00 AM
Quote from: LARRYHAYNES on February 18, 2015, 11:49:37 PM

The best method I've found to clean a severely fouled choke is to place in it a jar, a pint or 1/2 pint jar will work, filled with Hoppe's #9, cap the jar and let it soak. The Hoppe's will dissolve the plastic and other "gunk". You can then use a brass/bronze brush to run through it and remove what's left.

I recommend leaving that Hoppe's in the jar as a "dedicated" removal system. Even when that Hoppe's is quite dirty looking, it still works. You can always pour off the cleaner liquid, save it and discard the junk at the bottom of the jar as well.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark is Right on. Soak in Solvent. Also check out "Dewey" web site. They sell a hand brush for cleaning  chokes. I've had one for a few years now. Works great
Run & Gun: Benelli SBE 2, Trijicon RMR, IC .710, Hevi 13 #5 Zero 30 yds
Blind Gun:  Benelli SBE 2, Leupold 1.5x5 Circle Dot, Trulock .665, Federal HW #5 Zero 40 yds
Field Gun: Benelli Super Nova, Leupold 6x42, Harris Bipod, IC .670, Federal HW #5 Zero 50 yds

Longshanks

I use the same process as Clark's deep clean. Hoppes and a nylon brush. Clean them every year. Allot of material comes out of the choke. Looks like new when I am done.

Snoodsniper

Most wads are made of polyethylene. No solvent is going to "dissolve" it. Soaking may loosen the bond between the plastic and the choke or barrel but a little elbow grease will likely be needed to scrub it out.