turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quarter sawn

Started by Brantley, February 18, 2015, 07:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brantley

Wondering if any of you had made a paddle out of quarter saw wood. I've never seen it and there must be a reason but it seems like the grain running the length in that manner would impart some extra sound to it. Most of the wood I buy for paddles isn't available in anything but plain sawn and I was thinking about trying to see if there was a difference in the sound.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

SS Calls

Most call makers I know do orient the grain on their paddles to be as close to quartersawn as possible. Just run the end grain as close to vertical as the piece will allow.  :icon_thumright:

WillowRidgeCalls

!/4 sawn is what ya need for good lids, but not easy to find. You can help yourself by buying your lid material in 2" squares that way you can get the best grain direction out of your wood.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Brantley

I see. Basically buy turning blanks and Quarter saw the lids out of it. I'm gonna try that. Thanks for the assistance gents.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

WillowRidgeCalls

It's also important to check which way the grain in the wood is running? You can check that with a cotton ball or t-shirt, it'll slide easy one way and want to grab the other way. You want the grain running towards the handle of your lid, that way when you close your box the rail is fighting against the grain, it makes you call play and sound better.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott