OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 7's question..............

Started by jakesdad, March 21, 2011, 08:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

If I get over 250 with the new shells I will be happy. If not I may try Win XTR #6s

SKFOOTER

Quote from: turkeytromp on March 22, 2011, 08:12:04 PM
I had always hunted turkeys with the 3" winchester supreme elite #6's and killed alot of birds and was getting 160-170's in the 10" circle at 40 yards all day long on the pattern boards.
Now I swiched to hevi-13 3-1/2" #7's and I'm getting better dense patterns in the 360-380 range in a 10" circle on the pattern boards. No I never used hevi13 until this year and I like it alot but I'm shure the turkeys won't like it that well .  :fud:
360-380 range in a 10" circle????  At 40 yards???  With Hevi-13 3 1/2" #7's???   Are you sure you didn't mean 260-290 range???

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Quote from: bird on March 22, 2011, 02:34:18 PM
Quote from: WyoHunter on March 22, 2011, 02:29:59 PM
Assuming a gobbler is in range (45 yds or less) I'll bet more turkeys are missed because the pattern was too tight and the aim was off than by a poor pattern. I don't know if the quality of the HEVI-13 shells has dropped off but I do know I wouldn't want to be a gobbler in front of my Beretta stuffed with 7's inside 50 yds.  :icon_thumright: 

Now that right there is probably one of the most reasonable and logical comments I have heard in the past couple weeks when it comes to the discussion of Hevi-13 #7's.

bird
  :icon_thumright:
:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 22, 2011, 08:16:07 PM
Albeit the numbers are still more than adequate and provide a pattern as good if not better than anything available.. Constant tinkering for the worse should not be rewarded.
This sounds pretty logical and reasonable to me!!!!! :z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 24, 2011, 02:51:36 AM
Quote from: shootumindaface on March 22, 2011, 08:16:07 PM
Albeit the numbers are still more than adequate and provide a pattern as good if not better than anything available.. Constant tinkering for the worse should not be rewarded.
This sounds pretty logical and reasonable to me!!!!! :z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Me too!  

I do think the new 7's still pattern good.  I got some great numbers from this year loads.  I did encounter a bad shell in the 7's in the 3.5" loads.  But the dang 6 loads is the ones I have trouble with trying to get consistent numbers out of.  I shot some old and some that maybe were new and still no luck with the chokes I tried.   They weren't bad, but the old Remington Hevi-Shot loads I believe would out shoot them consistently.  I think that EM needs to just bring back the old white loads that shot so dang well.  I never shot them, but I have seen the patterns from those that have.  Those 1.75oz 3" #6's in the old white loads were aswesome.  Now why did they have to ruin a great load?  Makes no sense at all if you think about it.  They would out shoot the 6 loads they have now.  And with way less shot to boot.