OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 7's question..............

Started by jakesdad, March 21, 2011, 08:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

i'm not arguing with anybody or trying to start any fights,but with the talk on how the "new" hevi 7's dont perform as well as the "old" 7's,is their anybody that ISNT getting more than adequate turkey smackin patterns?I've seen the posts of guys and their pattern comparisons between the different 7's,and yes it seems there is some drop off in performance.But coming from a die hard lead shooter who tried the 7's for the first time in my 20,I was amazed at the patterns i got,even from the "bad batch".I know alot of you guys are into the 10" circle thing,and thats all well and fine by me,it is neat to see patterns on paper that look like screen doors,but has anybody had performance drop off so bad that you wouldnt hunt with em?Just a question from a hunting only point of view.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

knightrider

how dead is dead? 250 -275 just will not cut it :TooFunny: :deadhorse:

BowBendr

Yes, I had a drop in numbers, but i'll say what I said in the thread I started today......
I ain't sweating it, they'll still kill real nice. I wouldn't want to be an old long neck gobbler standing in front of me come April 9th.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

woodchip

I bought hevi 3.5/2.25/7s for the first time this year hoping to get the big patterns.  But I got the "new" shells.  I only got 210 in 10" at 40yds with my Remington 870 SM (polished barrel) but I'm happy.  By far the best pattern I've ever packed in the woods!

hookedspur

Quote from: woodchip on March 22, 2011, 12:09:01 AM
I bought hevi 3.5/2.25/7s for the first time this year hoping to get the big patterns.  But I got the "new" shells.  I only got 210 in 10" at 40yds with my Remington 870 SM (polished barrel) but I'm happy.  By far the best pattern I've ever packed in the woods!
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ILIKEHEVI-13

What choke was that with? 

longspur

I shot lead until last year when I shot some heavy 6s but I didn't have a really good choke. Shot the 7s for the first time this year through an IC. 284 &277. Its hard for me to be ticked off at EM. I do agree that its wrong to produce less quality for the same price and then deny changing it. If thats what happened. I haven't talked to them nor compaired shells but I have no reason to dought the guys that have. No problem for turkey hunting but some people like to shoot still targets and if they were getting over 300 and now can't get over 280 I can see why they would be ticked.

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 22, 2011, 12:34:07 AM

What choke was that with? 

I would like to know this as well.

WyoHunter

Assuming a gobbler is in range (45 yds or less) I'll bet more turkeys are missed because the pattern was too tight and the aim was off than by a poor pattern. I don't know if the quality of the HEVI-13 shells has dropped off but I do know I wouldn't want to be a gobbler in front of my Beretta stuffed with 7's inside 50 yds.  :icon_thumright: 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bird

Quote from: WyoHunter on March 22, 2011, 02:29:59 PM
Assuming a gobbler is in range (45 yds or less) I'll bet more turkeys are missed because the pattern was too tight and the aim was off than by a poor pattern. I don't know if the quality of the HEVI-13 shells has dropped off but I do know I wouldn't want to be a gobbler in front of my Beretta stuffed with 7's inside 50 yds.  :icon_thumright: 

Now that right there is probably one of the most reasonable and logical comments I have heard in the past couple weeks when it comes to the discussion of Hevi-13 #7's.

bird
  :icon_thumright:

bowhunter84

Quote from: bird on March 22, 2011, 02:34:18 PM

Now that right there is probably one of the most reasonable and logical comments I have heard in the past couple weeks when it comes to the discussion of Hevi-13 #7's.

bird
:agreed: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

paboxcall

Quote from: bowhunter84 on March 22, 2011, 03:53:36 PM
Quote from: bird on March 22, 2011, 02:34:18 PM

bird
:agreed: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

:agreed: 

For many years I was very satisfied with a Hastings .660 and the 2 oz. Winchester Supreme #5 in the red hull.  I will still hunt that shell and choke combo because I have a bunch of those red turkey killers. 

Pleased with 274 last spring with a JH .660 and Hevi-13 2-3-7?  Yep.  Would be fine with 210 using this year's EM shell too if that is the case, still better pattern than the lead #5s.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

BrowningGuy88

Well I shot my first H13 3-2-7 yesterday. I didn't count the numbers, but in the 22"X22" piece of paper I shot, there was no escape and it was by far the best pattern I have ever shot.

turkeytromp

I had always hunted turkeys with the 3" winchester supreme elite #6's and killed alot of birds and was getting 160-170's in the 10" circle at 40 yards all day long on the pattern boards.
Now I swiched to hevi-13 3-1/2" #7's and I'm getting better dense patterns in the 360-380 range in a 10" circle on the pattern boards. No I never used hevi13 until this year and I like it alot but I'm shure the turkeys won't like it that well .  :fud:

shootumindaface

Albeit the numbers are still more than adequate and provide a pattern as good if not better than anything available.. Constant tinkering for the worse should not be rewarded.