OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thinking Out Loud Here...

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 15, 2015, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkrem870

I killed my first gobbler with a #6 2 3/4 winchester lead load. I killed my latest gobbler with a nitro 4,5,6,7 mega weight. It's all about finding a load / choke combination that your confident with and taking ethical shots. I personally don't think the added pattern density makes a 66 yard shot with longbeards ethical as they advertise. A lot of things can go wrong at that distance which will result in a crippled gobbler.

Gooserbat

Either will work, word of caution that LB pattern will hold up farther than the #6 shot it's self will perform.  If I were you and LB shells appealed to me I would look at #5.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TN Beard Buster

First off, let me say that I'm old school in the regard that I only shoot lead. I tried HTL a few years ago but switched back to lead because of the prices. I've used Winchester ammo for years with very good success until I tried the Longbeards prior to last season. If anyone happens to question the downrange energy of these shells, let me tell you about my experience with them. I called in the only bird I harvested to (what I later found out was 45 yards). When I took the shot, the bird folded with absolutely no flop. At the time that I cleaned the bird, I found that when I shot. the bird was in half strut, my pattern hit the bird from the top of his head to the meat of his wing butt. I found that the shot had penetrated his wing. near side breast. the breast bone, off side breast, and what shot didn't go thru the off side wing, lodged in it. Also, it knocked the bird backwards about 10 feet. In 30 years of hunting, I've never had that kind of impact on any bird I've been blessed to harvest. This is only my own opinion and in no way meant to down play the HTL shots on the market.

StruttinGobbler3

Lots of interesting feedback here. Keep it coming.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

stinkpickle

After shooting #7 1/2 Pb for many years, I'd think you should have no problem killing birds with either of your two choices.  Both will kill at distances way farther than anybody should be shooting anyway.

silvestris

It's supposed to be an up close and personal sport.  Pattern quality is all I care about.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game