OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone shot LB 3in #5's through a Remington Ventilator?

Started by turkey buster, February 14, 2015, 11:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Not having luck searching the topic. I'm thinking of getting a Remington Ventilator to try in one of my 870's or 1187's. I shoot Longbeard 3 in #5's in all my guns regardless if it handles 3.5 shells. Anyone tested this combo yet?

okiegobblers

I have the exact same gun and shell setup this year. Due to weather the only patterning I have done is in a 20 yard range. But at that distance the pattern is really tight. Tore golf ball size holes in the target. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like at 40 yds.

Longshanks

I tried it last week..rem870/ 21 bbl". Odd shaped patterns at 20 and 40yds. Not consistent enough from shot to shot. Variation in the pattern enough that I would have missed a turkey at 20yds shooting a red dot scope with a solid rest.  Tight at 20 and different patterns at 40 everytime. I like a consistent round pattern at 20 and 40. I can deal with super tight but not if the patterns look different every other shot. Not gonna work out of my gun.

owlhoot

Too tight of choke for that load in 5 shot?   How did any of the older lead loads perform in that gun?

Quackwacker NC

Might not be much help but I shoot the 6's out of my 870 with the ventilator tube and get high 180's low 190's, haven't tried the 5's

turkey buster

:jesus-cross:
Quote from: owlhoot on February 15, 2015, 09:10:38 PM
Too tight of choke for that load in 5 shot?   How did any of the older lead loads perform in that gun?

What constriction do you recommend with 5's

R AJ

owlhoot

turkey buster

okiegobblers

turkey buster

Oh wasn't aware of that. 6's would be better in it then?

BandedSpur

Quote from: turkey buster on February 16, 2015, 07:41:05 AM
Oh wasn't aware of that. 6's would be better in it then?

Theoretically, 6s should do better than 5s through the tighter choke. I have read that Winch used an IC .665 in developing the LBs, so that is where I would start. That choke shoots the 3" 5s very well from my 1187 (would show the pic, but it was beyond 40 yds which is not allowed on this forum). That being said, Sumtoy .650s are putting up great patterns with those shells. Maybe they just don't like the Ventilator.

turkey buster

I've had good numbers through the .660 jellyhead maximum with them, but feel like I'm leaving something on the table and could get more. At 40 yards I put up 140's on a cooler evening and the one warm day I had it seemed like I shot around 170's.  I've seen some guys turn 180's with the 5's and I'd like to do that or better if possible. I've got 4 Remington turkey rigs and 2 mossbergs, but I'm fond of my remingtons and would like to do it with one of them

Ihuntoldschool

Turkey buster, your #s sound pretty good but if I were you and looking to gain more, I would try a .665 choke. I will get arguments on this but in my experience with Remingtons, very little, if anything is gained when you go tighter than .665. More often than not, numbers go down and not up.

I believe .665 to be more consistent with its patterns than anything tighter.