turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binoculars - Camo Necessary?

Started by Herms27, February 12, 2015, 12:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herms27

This spring will be my first time hunting turkeys. I know I need a good pair of binos that work well in low-light situations. I found a screaming deal on a pair of Nixon Prostaff 7 binos, but are black. The best deal I could find on the same pair in a camo color are about $100 more. How important is it for everything on me to be camo? I've made sure every piece of gear I will wear is camo and a matching pattern so would black binos stand out? Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Find something else to worry about. You'll be fine.

RutnNStrutn

Movement is much more important than camo. Old timers and indians used to kill turkeys with no camo at all. I use black binocs strapped to my chest with bino-straps. I use them all the time, even with turkeys in sight. I just s-l-o-w-l-y raise them up, and s-l-o-w-l-y scan with them. Don't waste your money on camo binocs.  :anim_25:

Herms27

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Black it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silvestris

What is important is what you see when you look through, not at, the instrument.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

FL-Boss

You could go turkey hunting dressed up like a circus clown and kill just as many birds.....fact.     No movement is the key!

Gobble!

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 12, 2015, 01:20:47 PM
Movement is much more important than camo. Old timers and indians used to kill turkeys with no camo at all. I use black binocs strapped to my chest with bino-straps. I use them all the time, even with turkeys in sight. I just s-l-o-w-l-y raise them up, and s-l-o-w-l-y scan with them. Don't waste your money on camo binocs.  :anim_25:

bingo

Cut N Run

I'm pretty sure that the main reason camo binoculars exist in the first place is;  If you happen to set them down in the woods, you'll have trouble finding them again and you'll need to buy a new pair.

I know this is exactly how it works with camo flashlights by experience. Truth.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

spaightlabs

I've been out scouting and had a jake walk across my feet while dressed in jeans and a white t-shirt and I've killed most of my birds with a plain black shotgun...

Bigspurs68

Camo on binos is in the same category as the glitter on the top of a Zara Spook.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bbcoach

Glare.  Check the binos you have and make sure that they don't have any glare in bright sun light.  Glare from any source is a hunt killer.  Other than that, you should be OK with black ones.

captin_hook

turkeyfoot

Black is fine I never use them in hardwoods hunting anyway but if hunting large areas out west they are a must sucks to put a hour long stalk on jake that you thought was longbeard