OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nittro prices

Started by stringtalker, February 07, 2015, 08:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

Sorry how that may have come across. My point with that post was that while the payloads are the same weight, the total numbers of pellets in the payload are very different. There are far more pellets in a HS load than a HW load. That is why I said apples to oranges. There is no real way to compare the loads on performance.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

davisd9

In the moment of truth HTL loads are worth their weight in gold, IMO.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: HogBiologist on February 10, 2015, 09:49:52 AM
Sorry how that may have come across. My point with that post was that while the payloads are the same weight, the total numbers of pellets in the payload are very different. There are far more pellets in a HS load than a HW load. That is why I said apples to oranges. There is no real way to compare the loads on performance.

Very true.  Some may not put up as big of numbers but a good even pattern is more useful to a hunter than a heavy numbered 10" circle and they hit much harder.  Shooting paper in ideal conditions is a whole lot easier than when he is gobbling and coming in as you are bent around a tree trunk.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hunter22

I went with Nitros several years ago and have not looked back. The first spring I used them I shot 10 times and killed 10 gobblers. They seem expensive but when compared to everything else you have invested in a turkey hunt they are a bargain. If you buy a box of 25 the price per shell is comparable to Hevi-Shot. 

WVhuntEER

I buy Nitros every year.  To me they are worth the price and then some.   The only thing I hate about them is they leak powder.   It can be fixed with a little Alex Plus but still it is annoying.  I wish they could seal them a little better.   Just a small price to pay though.   :icon_thumright:

stinkpickle

Quote from: WVhuntEER on February 11, 2015, 10:02:48 AM
I buy Nitros every year.  To me they are worth the price and then some.   The only thing I hate about them is they leak powder.   It can be fixed with a little Alex Plus but still it is annoying.  I wish they could seal them a little better.   Just a small price to pay though.   :icon_thumright:

Leaking powder...or buffer??? 

hookedspur

Nest to homemade ,Nitros are the loads I get the best from.
40 yards
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

rpinks

I have shot nitros the last 3 years. hunting Tn,Ky,In and Kansas. I had 15 shells left at at the end of last season. I like them so much I bought a box of 25 more. Just in case they ever quit making them. out of all the money I have spent those shells are the best investment I have made. Just my opinion.
Thanks, RP

turkeyfoot

Quote from: WVhuntEER on February 11, 2015, 10:02:48 AM
Its buffer they leak,  many have had same issue after loading and ejecting over a season with that said still what I use my gun loves them. Of course I've been trying to call them and no answer all week

alloutdoors

I've got no problem spending for top of the line shells, but they need to be worth their cost and in my opinion Nitros aren't (at least with regard to their 20ga load). I get 180 hits in 10" from my M2 with a Sumtoy .562-5 and Fed HW7's. I can bump that up closer to 200 hits with the IC .555 but I hunt with the Sumtoy so I'll use those numbers compared to the 222 Nitro pattern posted above. The 180 hits comes out to around a 54.9% pattern inside 10" at 40 yards, the 222 Nitro pattern is around 55.6%. The HW is delivering about 0.822oz of payload into the 10, and the Nitro about 0.798oz. The Nitro load starts at about 100fps faster than the HW, but the HW retains more of it's initial energy down range. At 40 yards the Nitros may deliver a few more hits, but the HW pellets are going to hit a bit harder, so it's pretty much a wash.

So given that, why would I pay almost $34 for 5 Nitros when I can buy a box of 5 HW for $15-20? Nitros are over priced.

Bigspurs68

I agree, dead is dead. Iv killed a rediculous amount of turkeys with lead. That being said, I'll never go back to lead. HTL loads have, from the first bird I killed with them, impressed the heck out of me. Penetration is rediculous compared to lead, it has compensated for my lack of common sense a couple times and has allowed my girls to shoot smaller and more pellets per shot at turkeys, increasing the odds of a cleanly killed turkey and a successful hunt. I think it's on my shoulders to do what I can to be a more efficient turkey killer and to do what I can to help my kids hammer em.
  I'm on the opposite end of wealthy but it doesn't kill me to spend a few more dollars per shot when I'm shooting a bird I respect so much.
  These are only my thoughts. They are based on more than a couple turkeys a year. And no, my turkeys don't taste better than yours. If you came to my place this spring we would talk turkey and likely go to the woods. If I called in a double, we'd kill em both. Mine with HTL and yours with lead and then we'd see if we could taste the difference. There wouldn't be any but HTL is better. Lol
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

USMC0331

If I'm not mistaken the Nitro will hit slightly harder due to velocity. Nitro HW 7 is the same density as HW 7 is it not? Where are you finding the HW for $15-20? The cheapest I found with shipping is $30. I would love to find a box for that price if you don't mind sharing the info.

Bigspurs68

I THINK nitro hevis are 13 gr/cc and federals are 15 gr/cc.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

alloutdoors

Their Megaweight shot was 13 g/cc but that is currently listed as unavailable, regular Nitros are just plain old 12 g/cc Hevishot. The HW's are 15 g/cc, which is why the pattern % works out about the same for the 180 vs 220 hits in my example above, the Nitro load starts out with far more (lighter) pellets. Out to 40 yards Nitros, at best, are 'as good' as the Federal loads. Past that and it would swing even more in favor of the HW. And yet Nitro wants twice as much money for their shell.  :z-dizzy:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/5-rounds-federal-premium-mag-shok-20-gauge-3-heavyweight-turkey-load-shells?a=1587296
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-FEPHT258F7
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598499/federal-premium-mag-shok-turkey-ammunition-20-gauge-3-1-1-2-oz-7-heavyweight-non-toxic-shot-flitecontrol-wad-box-of-5?cm_vc=ProductFinding
http://www.basspro.com/Federal-Premium-MagShok-HEAVYWEIGHT-Lead-Turkey-Load-Shotshells-with-FLITECONTROL/product/12092909485135/

If you're patient it's usually not long before one of the above will offer either a free shipping promotion or something like $15 off a $100 purchase that will basically cover the shipping if you are buying enough boxes. It's not like Nitro offers free shipping either, the minimum you will pay for them to ship you a single box is almost $16.

chatterbox

Quote from: davisd9 on February 10, 2015, 09:54:45 AM
Quote from: HogBiologist on February 10, 2015, 09:49:52 AM

Very true.  Some may not put up as big of numbers but a good even pattern is more useful to a hunter than a heavy numbered 10" circle and they hit much harder.  Shooting paper in ideal conditions is a whole lot easier than when he is gobbling and coming in as you are bent around a tree trunk.
This^^^^^