OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nittro prices

Started by stringtalker, February 07, 2015, 08:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringtalker

Everyone talkes about how good nittro shoot but have said anything about what they cost. Do they make them in 20 gauge and what do they cost
Douglas

stringtalker

Cost way to much for me, thats crazy......
Douglas

Gobble!

Quote from: stringtalker on February 07, 2015, 09:23:37 PM
Cost way to much for me, thats crazy......

My theory, I might shoot 3-4 shells a YEAR max. Box of 10 might last me 4 years, that's $20 a year in shells. Might as well shoot the best.

idratherb

Gamblinman

Couldn't have said it better.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Bigspurs68

I can never understand how hunters can spend so much money on all aspects of hunting and not put worthwhile money into the one thing that seals the deal. If you aren't hand loading, nitros are fine turkey killers. For my girls 20, I never regretted spending the money on a box of nitro 7's. Dead turkeys, happy girls.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

stringtalker

Yes, they probably do kill good, but federal heavyweight #7's are alot cheaper...
Douglas

dirt road ninja

Quote from: stringtalker on February 07, 2015, 11:09:47 PM
Yes, they probably do kill good, but federal heavyweight #7's are alot cheaper...

They are more expensive. I've taken a few seconds to break down the cost.

A box of 5 of the 1 7/8 oz load from Nitro is 37.50 per box or $7.50 per shell.
A box of 5 of the 1 7/8 oz load from Federal is 30.99 per box or $6.20 per shell.
That is a 17.3% increase in cost per same pay load shot.

Hooter

And a bit more lethal.

Bama turkey hunter

Tony

Blong

I find the 'cost to much' argument funny also. Shotgun and chokes $300-1500, calls $10-1000, clothes $100+, vehicle fuel 3 weeks prior thru season spent on scouting and hunting $300-1000. These are just guesstimates on what the average turkey hunter spends not including lease prices,permit fees etc.. If you do have a stellar year and kill 10 birds, the shell cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the other cost. I will gladly pay $10/shell for the peace of mind that if I do my part, the load will do its part.

HogBiologist

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 08, 2015, 07:43:00 AM

A box of 5 of the 1 7/8 oz load from Federal is 30.99 per box or $6.20 per shell.

Same weight payload. But 1 7/8 oz of HW (15 g/cc) is not the same as HS (12-13 g/cc). Many more pellets in the HS than in the HW. Apples to oranges comparison.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

silvestris

If you call them close enough, a .410 will do the job.  I love the pattern of the Longbeards, but a 60 yard shell?  Appalling.  I just wish Winchester made them for the 20.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

dirt road ninja

Quote from: HogBiologist on February 08, 2015, 12:39:18 PM
Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 08, 2015, 07:43:00 AM

Same weight payload. But 1 7/8 oz of HW (15 g/cc) is not the same as HS (12-13 g/cc). Many more pellets in the HS than in the HW. Apples to oranges comparison.

I understand the difference in the densities of the two different shots being discussed. The gentleman that started the thread was simply asking for the cost, so that is what I posted in my first reply. The same gentleman then posted that the Federal's were a lot less expensive. Here is where I made my mistake, and I apologize for it. Expensive is and adjective that has different meanings to different people. At one time I thought the ammunition produced by Nitro was ridiculously expensive until I worked the numbers comparing them to other top shelf turkey loads. I was just trying to put it in black and white for all to see and maybe the information might be useful to someone looking to try one load or another this spring. I had no other way to compare the cost of different shells other than a per shell cost, per same payload, and shells packaged per container. That's what I did. In that regard IMO it is apples to apples.