turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 510 mini patterns

Started by Matt k, February 05, 2015, 06:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt k

Looking for info or pics of Mossberg 510 mini patters or what combo works for you. Just picked one up for my son and looking for combos to try. Thanks

Chilly

Factory full choke and 2 3/4"  1-1/8oz federal HW7 patterned at 33 yards which happened to be the distance where my boys first turkey was shot a couple of weeks later.  If you shoot it yourself, I'll warn you to keep your thumb off of the top of the gun when you pull the trigger.  You will bust your own nose and be mad at yourself.... Ask me how I know!!!!
Good luck to the young'n! 
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

turkey buster

How's the recoil on that gun? I know they are light and small

Chilly

My kids are small and they handle it just fine.  My youngest boy just moved up from a 510 mini .410 to the 20 ga 510.  Both kids can shoot it on their own.  The stock is really short and is kinda wierd at the grip.   That's why your thumb will nearly break your nose when you shoot it. 

chatterbox

This is for my son's 510. Only modifications to this gun were a FFII, and an adult stock.
He has a flush mount full choke, and is shooting the 3" number 7 Federal Heviweight.
Pattern is a tape measured 30 yards. 193 pellets in the 10"circle. Devastating.

Chilly

Nice.  Big difference what 3/8 of an ounce can make.

Matt k

Nice patterns, thanks for the help guys. Looks like I have a starting point.

chatterbox

For the 20 ga, the Federal Heviweight 7's are the best, hands down.

old3toe

I picked one up when the first came out . It was for me though.lol I put an ati adjustable stock on it and a red dot sight. I shoot two chokes too.  A carlsons .575 for nitro 4x5x7's and an indian creek .555 for nitro and hevi shot 7's. Mine shoots equal to most 12 ga combos and is very very effective on the big birds. Also i did deep clean the barrel as well.

old3toe

Sorry i made a mistake in above post. I shoot. mag blend 5x6x7 in the carlsons .575 choke.

Matt k

Update: we got to do some shooting today. This federal 3" hw 7s. He was shooting with bead site freehand at 15 yards. I'am pretty happy with it. I'am only going to let him shot to 20 yards. This was with the factory full choke also

jakesdad

I put a 20-25 yd limit on my son with his 510,so we are going with factory full and 2 3/4 high brass #6 lead pheasant loads.Opens the pattern up a little more and plenty of ummph with lead at that range.Will probably go with HW 7 when he gets a little older and extends his range some.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

KyTurkeyHunter473

I bought a 510 Mini for my son last year.  It is topped with a tru glo gobble dot scope and I decided to go with an Indian Creek choke.  A little tight for a youngster but I figured I may use it some too.  I've only patterned Hevi 13 6s and 7s through it at 30 yds.  Both will more then get the job done. 6s managed 166 and the 7s put 189 in the 10"