OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jack Dudley and Gene Nunnery

Started by Swamp Hook Daddy, February 04, 2015, 05:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp Hook Daddy

I am new to the site and have enjoyed learning from the many posts y'all have made. There is a wealth of knowledge on here.  Thank y'all for sharing. 

In my persistent quest to become a better woodsman and conservationist, I keep hearing about two books that I should read.  I hunt in East Central Mississippi so I don't think that it is coincidental that the two books were written by authors that lived and hunted in that part of the country.  The books are:

1)"I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes Unto the Hills" by Gene Nunnery
2)"The Greatest Moments of My Life" by Jack Dudley

I have been on the search for these books for a few years now. I was hoping to run into somebody in East Mississippi that would happen to know someone who was willing to sell theirs.  However, most copies people have are borrowed from another person.  I would feel horrible to ask to borrow a book that someone doesn't even own.  I know that you can sometimes find the books on Amazon or Ebay but I hate too admit that they are too expensive given my limited resources.  I would really like to sit at the foot of these two masters, Nunnery and Dudley, and learn as much as I can from their written teachings and stories.  Any information on where I can find a reasonably priced copy of both books would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for reading my long post and your assistance in tracking these books down.

zeke632

If you can find a copy of The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Nunnery its a'great book full of turkey huntimg knowledge.

alloutdoors

Quote from: zeke632 on February 15, 2015, 04:33:47 PM
If you can find a copy of The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Nunnery its a'great book full of turkey huntimg knowledge.

This. I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes is a good read too, but it's hard to find and expensive when you do. Old Pro is the real must read for a turkey hunter and it's easier to come by and more affordable. Given your location you would probably also particularly enjoy East of the Slash and Bird of Courage, both by Wade Wineman. The other must read for a turkey hunter is Turkey Hunting A One Man Game by Kenny Morgan. That one was just recently reprinted in a softcover version that you can get at Midwest Turkey Call Supply. http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail.asp?pid=MTH1&link=

Swamp Hook Daddy

zeke and alloutdoors,

I appreciate the info. I wholeheartedly agree.......Nunnery's Old Pro and Morgan's Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game are both excellent reads. I am fortunate to own a copy of both.  Alloutdoors, I will be sure to check out your two additional recommendations from Wade Wineman.  I appreciate y'all taking the time to respond.  Best of luck to y'all this season.