OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sound boards

Started by Rwgrobe, February 03, 2015, 06:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rwgrobe

Been playing around with making pot calls and was wanting to know what is the best to use for the sound board slate, glass or wood? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

TripleGobbleCalls

They are all used. You'll want to try out different combinations until you find the one you like. I would suggest slate over slate or slate over glass. Not sure how the wood would roll over with the slate, but I never tried it, so I don't know. That's just my thinking.

mastevt

They all have they're unique sounds if you got a good ear.  I use alot of acrylic, to me it sounds crisper, glass is good for alot rasp.  Slate gives a softer tone, and I was really impressed with the wood ones I made to match my honey locust burl calls.  Now they were stabilized, so I don't know if that makes alot of difference or not, but they sounded awesome.  I'm gonna experiment more with wood boards in the future.

pappy

Always best to consider what type of sound you are wanting from your pot before you stick a sound board in one. If you are wanting loud and crisp go for the densest material you got, glass being on the top of the list for that, then as you wanting to soften your sound go down that list, next would be a metal type, aluminum / brass (but remember that will also produce a metallic ring on the end of the call)  then slate then wood. Also consider your material used for the pot, the harder or more denser it is the more room you have for the sound board to make the change the softer the wood then you could go to a dead sounding pot if you use a softer material for the soundboard.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

WillowRidgeCalls

What sound board sounds the best in a call is determined by how thick the walls of your call is. If your wall is fairly thick then a slate, glass or alum. sound board works well. If your walls are fairly thin then a wood or glass sound board works great, so it depends on how you cut your calls. Myself I use all wood or glass, mostly wood, all with slate, glass, alum, copper surfaces.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

SS Calls

Lots of good suggestions here.. You can even play around with no sound board.  :icon_thumright:

markjm15

I myself know what kind of sound I like to get out of my calls. I like a very raspy with a high to medium toned call.
I also know that from experience using a hard soundboard (glass/slate) with a hard wood will produce a high sounding call with little rasp. If im using woods like bocote, cocobolo, ebony, hickory ect.. I will use a soft soundboard such as teak, cherry or walnut. If im using a softer wood such as cherry, teak, walnut ect. I will use a hard soundboard like glass or slate. I know this is what works for me and from my own experience this is what I believe to be true in determining the pitch and rasp of a call.
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

Rwgrobe

Thanks for the help I played with some this week and like slate and glass better with the glass sound board. I like a raspy sound myself.