turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice on mouth call cuts

Started by ZachH28, January 28, 2015, 07:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZachH28

Hey guys, I am new to the competition calling world and am trying to get started making my own mouth calls. I already have the Pro Comp Press from Feather Ridge and have been messing around making calls for a little while now. I was wondering if y'all had any combination suggestions or cut suggestions, I have been stretching about 170 and they sound alright but not exactly what I am trying to get... Any advice would be great. I really need a good cutter call and have been trying to make one here lately but can't quite get what I am looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot
Zach Hayes
(919)-604-0554

GobbleNut

Many call designs begin with a standard center V-cut (or offset V) as the basis for the design.  If you are making the calls for yourself, start with the V-cut and go from there, trying the call after each new cut.  The progression is simple,....make a V-cut, then cut off one side tab to make a combo, then cut off both side tabs for a batwing,....or if you want to try a ghost-cut, instead of cutting the side tabs, cut the center tab out instead.  If you are looking for the traditional cutter design, you would make your first cut as an offset cut angled toward the center of the call and remove the small tab. 

You can get more elaborate with any of the designs by cutting tab edges or deepening cuts if you want to.  Of course, the combinations for call designs are endless,....latex layers, thicknesses, colors, spacing, stretch, cuts,....and you can go crazy trying to find the right combinations for yourself.  ....So good luck with it.