OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Pre 1997 Mossberg 500C (not what i was hoping for)...

Started by Dconer1, January 19, 2015, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dconer1

I patterened an old pre 1997 Mossberg 500C 20 ga this weekend. It didnt come out so good. Anyone else have any experience with this setup and can provide any tips?

Mossberg 500c 20 ga (22" barrel)
Hs Strut Undertaker ported choke (0.582)
3" Hevi-shot mag-blend
35 yards
101 pellets inside 10" circle.

As you can see, the pattern seems to have some holes in it too. Any help/info would be much appreciated.

turkeyhunter91

Have you tried any other chokes? You might also try polishing your barrel.

Dconer1

I haven't tried any other chokes yet. i guess i will polish the barrel and try a couple different loads first before i try different chokes. i always heard the undertaker was a pretty decent choke.

surehuntsalot

if you are going to shoot the mag blends, get you a 20.00 Primos Tightwad choke and see what happens
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Dconer1

Ill shoot whatever load, it doesn't matter to me. Ive got a cabelas and a bass pro 10 mins from my house. So getting the different loads isn't a problem. It'd be nice if i could get one of the cheaper loads to pattern good with my current choke! but i know thats kind of wishful thinking. :z-dizzy:

Tom Dooley

I use the Undertaker .572 and #7 Heavyweight with good results. I would recommend deep cleaning the barrel.

SumToy

Clean the barrel yes.  Polish barrel I am NOT a fan of. BE VERY CAREFUL.

I would try a different choke of some kind. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA