North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

General Discussion

Started by nickhrp, January 19, 2015, 12:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericjames

Quote from: turkey buster on January 29, 2015, 07:19:33 PM
Guys I'm posting this on the turkey gun board also but I got a question. I got the 11-87 I've been bragging about (90's model original bottomland) shooting 3in long beard #5's through a jellyhead maximum .660 choke. I got the TG magnum gobble dot sights mounted on the rib and "zeroed" in. I'm use to shooting 3.5in #6's and turning high numbers out of other guns and this is the first time I've shot #5's at all. My numbers were low I think...160 to 170 tops is what I guess because I didn't have a true 10in circle but close to it. I was aimed at a turkey target and had 20-25 in the head every time.  I was shooting at 68 degrees at 41 yards (lazered). Up at 20 yards I'm good to go with a good even pattern that I didn't bother counting. Enough smack to do the deal id say most the shot in a cantaloupe size area with the overwhelming majority in the head/neck. Since I'm new to 5's do I have killing numbers out to 40 or am I coming up short?

Those 5's will work perfect. Don't worry about #s I would rather use 5's  over 6's anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

We over think numbers in all reality any thing over 100 is a killing pattern.  I would shoot #5 with 160 + all day and be glad to do it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey buster

ericjames

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 30, 2015, 01:15:37 AM
We over think numbers in all reality any thing over 100 is a killing pattern.  I would shoot #5 with 160 + all day and be glad to do it.

Me also.

Illini Tom

yep, those 3" 5s will get the job done. thats all i've shot the last 15 years or so
keep in mind that theres a heck of a lot more pellets in the 3.5 6s than the 3" 5s

misfire

Just scored a new slayer, Remington 870 SPS.  Picking it up next weekend.  Looking forward to some range time and getting acquainted
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

nickhrp

God Bless the Outdoors

ericjames

I love dead turkeys!

misfire

That's the gun Nick. Too good of a deal to pass up, plus it came with a Rhino choke. How do you like the scope?

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Gooserbat

I've always wanted one of the Bottomland 870s.  I think it might almost be enough to get me to go back to a 3' shel .
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ericjames

Me to gooser, I have always liked bottomland. The older I get the more I like less recoil. But I still like seeing the 3.5" patterns.

misfire

All I shoot is 3". Been using a Sumtoy. 660 with Hevi13 #6 in my Benelli

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Gooserbat

Nothing wrong with a 3" but when I can shoot a 3.5 why not. 
NWTF Booth 1623

misfire

I haven't liked the patterns I tried with 3.5

www.misfiregamecalls.net

nickhrp

Quote from: misfire on February 01, 2015, 02:17:30 PM
That's the gun Nick. Too good of a deal to pass up, plus it came with a Rhino choke. How do you like the scope?
I love the scope it has ruined me
But it kicks like a one eyed bucking mule
God Bless the Outdoors