Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

New Member from Louisiana and First Time Turkey Hunting

Started by Efey, January 08, 2015, 09:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Efey

This will be my first time hunting turkey this spring. I acquired some land in Mississippi this year but previously only hunted Louisiana in areas without turkeys. My time lapse camera turned up hours of turkeys in the food plots essentially everyday.  I cannot tell if there are any Toms in the groups and have only seen one beard in the pictures (first picture attached). I do not know how to judge size or maturity. Would this be a good one to target this year? I could also use some recommendations on calls. I'd rather spend money on good ones now. It is probably worth mentioning that I will only be bowhunting them. I know it will be a challenge but I am patient! Thanks!

Efey

ericjames

Welcome to old gobbler. There is a ton of great call makers here and if you look around the forum I'm sure you will find more calls than you probably have the funds to buy. There is just that many call makers on here. Also this forum is full of very knowledgeable people to help ya out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericjames

Oh and I looked at some of the pics. I'll have to look at them on my laptop cause I can't tell much on this phone. But the first pic is a good Tom and looks like a jake behind him.

dirt road ninja

Efey

dirt road ninja

I'm just outside of New Orleans. Where in Ms y'all hunting ? I turkey hunt around Fayette in Jeffereson County and in Perry county.

Efey

The Hattiesburg area.  I believe it is Jones County

Snoodsniper

Looks like a long beard or two in the mix. Makes me wanna go huntin'!

sasquatch1

Welcome aboard! St. Bernard parish louisianian here. Watch mouth call magic. Will help alot! As far as calls mouth calls I find to be ppl specific. What I sound good on you may not at all. Alot of buying and throwing away on them to find the right one.

ericjames

Hattiesburg you ain't far from me. About another hour east. Im right on the ala/miss state line.