turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for my first trumpet?

Started by jordanz7935, January 02, 2015, 06:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanz7935

Hi guys im looking to get my first trumpet style call. Ive wanted to get one and learn for a while now but what really makes me want one is how realistic they sound. I spent a lot of time in the woods this fall and many of the hens i heard sounded just like a tumpet call. Not roost talk but hens just feeding with their family flocks. We had a group of 2 adult hens and 9 poults roosting in our back yard from mid august to mid october this year. It was a treat to watch and listen to those birds every day. I must say the adult hens sounded more like a trumpet than any other style calls. So, what trumpet do you guys reccomend for a beginner on a budget to learn on and to hunt with? I see that trumpets by billy buice are very popular. Thanks in advance

West Augusta

Billy does make a good one. 
To hunt with I prefer Mudpuppi and Brian Mero. They both make a very easy trumpet to run.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mgm1955

No particular order and certainly not a complete list:
1. Ernie Fetters
2. Billy Buice
3. Robert Glover
4. Brian Mero
5. Bobby Buckner
6. Irving Whitt
7. Dave Hodgkins

Wingbones/cane yelpers
1. Mark Sharpe
2. Kevin Lynch

Good luck!! Welcome to your new addiction!!

callmakerman

Quote from: mgm1955 on January 02, 2015, 08:01:23 PM
No particular order and certainly not a complete list:
1. Ernie Fetters
2. Billy Buice
3. Robert Glover
4. Brian Mero
5. Bobby Buckner
6. Irving Whitt
7. Dave Hodgkins

Wingbones/cane yelpers
1. Mark Sharpe
2. Kevin Lynch

Good luck!! Welcome to your new addiction!!
What he said plus Ralph Permar and Steve Lumma

pappy

There are many many call makers out there to choose from, I would love to own a Ralph Permar trumpet of my own one day, he is a great man and has helped me along my path of call making. His craftsmanship is excellent and his prices reflect his love for the art and continuing efforts to keep the hunting heritage alive and well. This is a set that I made out of snakewood, the King and His Queen, I think the new owner was pleased...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

gaswamp

Quote from: West Augusta on January 02, 2015, 07:45:22 PM
To hunt with I prefer Mudpuppi and Brian Mero. They both make a very easy trumpet to run.

just curious why are the mudpuppy/ mero trumpets better than the Buice to hunt with?

pappy

You are asking a difficult question for anyone to answer....the only real answer would be an individual's personal taste. Some trumpets are easier to run then others, less air intake means a softer running call, some calls are set to higher pitches, some lower, it all lies in a hunter's choice of sound they are looking for, all three call makers mentioned produce wonderful calls.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

vaturkey

Jack Pappy Lewis makes a great trumpet !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

West Augusta

Quote from: gaswamp on January 03, 2015, 11:24:47 AM
Quote from: West Augusta on January 02, 2015, 07:45:22 PM

just curious why are the mudpuppy/ mero trumpets better than the Buice to hunt with?
They are just easier for ME to run well.  They may not be as easy for you.  The Billy  Buice that I have needs a different mouth piece.  It's too high pitched for my liking but with Billy's calls that's an easy fix.  His are replaceable.

My suggestion is to try as many trumpets as you can and find what suits your playing style.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

jordanz7935

Thanks for all the great info/advice guys. Im going to try and disect this info in the next couple of weeks and purchase my first trumpet. Ease of use will be a major plus for me since i have never even picked up a trumpet. As a matter of fact ive only ever ran into one hunter here locally(upstate NY) who actually had a trumpet around his neck while hunting. And he is a great call maker on this forum. Ill probably seek advice from him as well. It will be hard to try a bunch of trumpets or even one where i live, so im gonna take everyones advice and try to pick a good one. I hope i can get proficient enough on one to use it this season. Id like to think it will be my secret weapon with a call that sounds like nothing these local birds have heard from hunters. Thanks again for all the great info keep it coming guys!

BowBendr

Another vote for Brian Mero. Something about how his calls sound in the woods keep them at the top of my list.

painterjp

Frank Cox are as Good as they get!!!

strutnrut

I'd throw in these names. Everyone like different calls due to playing style. We don't all sound the same and neither do turkey calls.
Steve Lumma
Matt Mclain
John Dangerfield
Mike Williams
Kenny Peddlewhore

I have played all of these calls and they are good calls.. I hunt with one of my own. I really enjoy using a call I build over other calls even tho I own other calls.  All of the callmakers mentioned are all good call makers. The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice..... Remember you didn't learn how to walk in a week.   

Jobugg12