OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nitro's Mega shot anyone using it?

Started by Ridge Rooster, January 02, 2015, 10:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obro

Rooster , I have never shot Nitros Hevi loads . I have shot the mega weight for several years out of a SBE 2  . I use a Rhino 670 which is their 3rd place reccommended tube . They claim 280-320 in the 10 @ 40 . I have achieved the lower end of those numbers and slightly lower depending on weather conditions . Numbers may get better with the other 2 tubes they recommend but I'm happy with what I'm getting out of the Rhino . I have killed plenty of birds with this load . Some past what we are suppose to discuss and have no complaints with performance . It is a bit on the expensive side but load to load performance has been consistent . It reminded of the first bids I shot with federal heavyweight . Stone cold .

Ridge Rooster

obro I am going to try them again, still unsure about the Mega Weight but if you are getting in the 280 range then that is awesome! With the availability of powder and components getting a little easier, maybe they are loading like they use to. When I call them I will make sure and ask and post what they say.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

01Foreman400

10% off your order right now according to their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Danny1030

I shot Nitro's H51013A (heavyshot) 2 years ago with a Primos Jelly Head and a Rhino (as recommended on their website) with great results from both. Pellet strikes inside 10 inches at 40yds were as advertised with both chokes. I bought a Super Nova last year and gave the Mega Weight a try. I shot the MH51013A out of an Indian Creek choke as suggested by Sandy at Nitro. Pellet strikes went up slightly with more energy on target. This was their new loading of 4X6X7. I will be shooting these for a while as I just ordered a box of 25.

K9Doc

I too was fooled by the "Nitro Hype".
Over priced for DANGEROUS Overpressure
Shot shells.
If you guys are so Hellbent on big numbers,
"LOAD YOUR OWN"!!
You will NEVER Look Back.
Or shoot Longbeard 5's
LOL
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Danny1030

K9Doc, I'm just trying to gather information here so I hope you don't take offense. How did you come to the conclusion that the Nitro shells are over pressure and dangerous?  I am also curious as to which of the Nitro loads you believe to be over pressure.

01Foreman400

Don't worry about getting the Mega Weights now.  They are unavablible due to not having the correct powder to load them.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

TheSportsman

I have not seen signs of over pressure with my sbe...

Danny1030

I haven't seen any signs of pressure with the Nitro loads I've shot either. I 'm just curious as to whether K9Doc's statement was his opinion or if a strain guage or some other type of device had been used to measure chamber pressure and if so, what loads were tested and found to be over pressure.  I don't think I could be any more pleased with my results.

Tail Feathers

I wondered about the pressures in their loads when I couldn't get the spent shell to eject from my 835.  It expanded so much I could only get them out by putting the gun on the ground and using both hands to rack it out, and it took a few tries at that.
My buddy had to shoot three out of his 1187 to get them out as he couldn't get them to eject any other way.  Those two things concerned me about Nitro loads.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!