OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nitro's Mega shot anyone using it?

Started by Ridge Rooster, January 02, 2015, 10:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Rooster

Been a Nitro Ammo fan for a long time, went to order some the other night and noticed that they are offering the Mega Shot. Has anyone got any experience with it?

Thanks

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Ridge Rooster

Did a search on Mega Weight reviews and saw some previous post on the subject but never did hear anyone say what kind of results they got. I am on my last few 51013's and I am fixing to order another box until I noticed the new shot. May just buy 5 and give them a try but would like to hear what success others have had.

Thanks
Ridge Rooster

01Foreman400

Don't hear much about them. They don't offer the straights 7's in the mega weight so I continue to shot hevi-shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

SumToy

should work but they was HOT shells at one time.  I have not shot the new ones to know if they changed.  In the past they also liked bigger chokes. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

obro

I have shot it for several years . I am happy with its performance at the range and on birds .

Ridge Rooster

obro, what kind of pellet count are you getting? And did you use their Hevi-Shot prior to using the Mega Weight and did you notice a difference??

Thanks

Ridge Rooster

blueridgegobbler

I have shot the hevi before and the mega last year and to be honest my pellet counts have reduced to the point I am no longer using Nitro. My guns are polished, and cleaned on a regular basis and the patterns are simply unacceptable. I now use magblend and my pellet counts are back up. I will use lead before I go back to nitro and I was a die hard nitro guy for 12 years.

Ridge Rooster

blueridgegobbler, we noticed the same thing when a buddy of mine ordered a new box 2 seasons ago. He was getting in the 270's plus out of his SBE and now gets barely over 200. I dismissed it as his barrel may have been really dirty, but I have read somewhere that they were having to trouble with powder availability and were using a slightly different formula? Unsure if that is factual but before I order another box of 25, I am going to be reassured that nothing has changed from my old box.

Ridge Rooster

blueridgegobbler

ridgerooster it made me sick to my stomach I always used them wouldn't consider another but I am very disappointed I wont use them any more I will reload my own before I buy another Nitro. I found one of my old original loads and cut it open I can buy every piece of the componets from ballistic specialties. Pretty sad a 20 dollar box of lead londbeards will out pattern custom loaded nitros.

davisd9

Quote from: blueridgegobbler on January 03, 2015, 09:13:05 AM
ridgerooster it made me sick to my stomach I always used them wouldn't consider another but I am very disappointed I wont use them any more I will reload my own before I buy another Nitro. I found one of my old original loads and cut it open I can buy every piece of the componets from ballistic specialties. Pretty sad a 20 dollar box of lead londbeards will out pattern custom loaded nitros.

That $20 dollar box will not have the same power behind them. 50 pebbles does not hit as hard as 1 brick.

I am done with Hevi shot for them changing things they way they do, not if Nitro can get me to 200 hits then that is what I want for a good hunting pattern. Each to their own. Good luck!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

blueridgegobbler

To each his own I was just stating my personal experience with nitros used to love them but not so much anymore. As far as 50 pebbles and one brick I don't want either one. I have killed lots of turkey with the old gold box federal they were lead 3/2/7.5 Those little pebbles got it done just have to keep the ranges 40 yards and in.

Ridge Rooster

If Nitro can assure me that the new loads are the exact same as, I will buy another 25 round box.

Ridge Rooster

jw706

I was about to order some myself til a buddy said the shells he got last year were way off from previous shells pellet count wise. Something has changed evidently. Don't know whether I will orde r this year or not. Would love to continue shooting them because they were awesome.

Ridge Rooster

I will be sure to mention the fact that the pellet counts are reported to be lower. If they don't change that it will really hurt their business with all the other companies making improvements with their shells. They were the best shell out there but seems like the big ammo companies are catching up and they are actually declining for some reason? Has anyone else bought any and noticed a change??

Ridge Rooster

gatrkyhntr70

Bought my last order from Nitro co. about 3 seasons ago. They fell way from the the shells I ordered the year before.I called and heard nothing but excuses on the difficulties on getting components for the shells.After that we killed alot of gobblers with magblends but hevi shot is always messing up a good thing.I wont shoot anymore of their shells either. For years I tried to find a choke that liked the federal hvywght 7's. I finally come up with several options. That shell is devastating on gobblers. Ive also stocked up on them for the next few seasons.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-