OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New turkey model versamax

Started by turkey buster, December 27, 2014, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Has anyone had the chance to shoot the Remington Versamax 22in barrel turkey model yet? Please no opinions on full length models.

outdoors

I HAVE ONE AND ONLY SHOT A FEW TIMES , JUST TO SHOT IT AND SEE HOW IT HANDLES
AT 30YRDS STOCK CHOKE NICE EVEN PATTERN NO COUNTS .. ON A BIG PEICE OF PAPER , TURKEY THUGS 3" VERY MILD RECOIL . DIDNT TRY THE 3 1/2 Yet
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

turkey buster

Thanks for your response. How is the felt recoil and are the fiber optic sights sturdy?

outdoors

HEY , THE RECOIL FOR THE 3" I WOULD SAY IS MILD LIKE A 3" 20 GA. I TURKEY HUNT WITH MY
M2 20 GA. AND I WOULD SAY THERE CLOSE ON THE RECOIL , IM GOING DEAR HUNTING NEXT WEAK AND IM TAKING THE VESA MAX WITH ME TO SHOT AGAIN AND IM GOING TO TRY THE 3 1/2" 
THE FIBER OPTICS ARE REAL NICE ~ BUT ~ I THINK REMINGTON MESSED UP ON INSTALING THESE
I PUT A LAZER 12 GA. SHELL IN TOO SEE HOW THEY WHERE LINED UP AND THE ELEVATION WAS REAL GOOD BUT THE windage WAS WAY OFF ADJUSTED IT TO THE LAZER AND ITS SHOTING , SPOT ON ,
I LIKE THE LAZER FOR BORE SITING SAVES ALOT OF MONEY ....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Ihuntoldschool

They are great if you like fiber optics. They seem to be plenty sturdy and hold up well. Recoil is minimal, I would say softer than any 12 gauge you would find, feels kind of like shooting a 20. They have a good recoil pad and when you combine that with the lengthened forcing cone and weight of the gun it really helps tame recoil. They are extremely reliable, mine has never failed to cycle anything. Hard to beat really. They shoot great with the overbore and the lengthened forcing cone, patterns are dense and even. I personally went with a bead site barrel instead of the fiber optic rifle sites (just personal preference) but the Versamax would be a great choice.

jason5.9

I bought one on 18 Jan.  I have put about 100 rounds through it, everything from 2.75 low brass to 3.5 magnums.  Here is what I have found out

I had 2 jams in 25 rounds with the low brass 2.75 probably due to the fact that there wasnt enough gas created by the low energy shells to efficiently operate the gas system.

25 rounds of 2.75 target load (lowbrass) Estate brand, 2 charging related jams (bolt didnt travel far enough to rear to engage the next shell from the mag tube)
25 rounds of standard 2.75 bird shot (High Brass) no issues
3 Inch 10 Rounds of Winchester Super X Turkey Load no issues
20 rounds of 3.5 inch Nitro Turkey no issues
5 Rounds of Winchester LB 3.5 no issues
5 Rounds of Federal Premium Turkey MAG SHOK 3.5 no issues
5 Rounds of Kent Ultimate Diamond 3.5 no issues

Any gun will have noticable recoil on the 3.5 magnum loads but this one was much less felt recoil than other guns which I have tried, Mossberg 535, 835, Rem 870, basically pump guns.  the versa max is my first auto loading shotgun

The stock sights are good, highly adjustable, and they are sturdy.  I put a TRUGLO Gobble Stopper on mine with a weaver rail just because I had one laying around not being used.  You are able to pick up the stock sights under the gobble stopper and still make accurate shots.

The stock choke is pretty good actually.  I was really impressed with its performance out of the box, I have a thread in the Pattern Picture topic.  I ordered a .660 Sumtoy to try out.

The gun is pretty tight structurally speaking. Im not crazy about the camo on mine being too green, because where i hunt is mainly in hardwoods.

So that is some of the good, now some of the bad:

I also got harassed about ordering the 22inch turkey gun by alot of my friends but you save about $3-500 by getting this version with the cardboard box, 1 choke tube, and non adjustable pull length and angle of rear stock.  Im going to use this gun to hunt Turkey, not skeet shoot, not duck hunt, not deer, just Turkey and I think it will do an excellent job at that.

The VersaMax uses the Remington Pro Bore Choke system, so extra chokes are not easily available in the store, I looked at Dicks Sporting Goods, Hagan Outdoors, and a few other small outdoor stores close to where I live and no one carried any ProBore chokes in stock.  They can be ordered so just be aware.

The weaver rail mount on top is Model 48454, it comes with 1 long screw and 3 short screws...  before you attempt this you need to source 3 more screws the same length as the 1 long one in the package.  The short screws will only catch about 3 threads because the profile of the top of the reciever is slightly different than the profile of the bottom of the weaver base. 

Hope this helps answer your questions about this particular gun.

turkey buster

Thank you. Excellent review. I will look up your pattern pictures

Quote from: jason5.9 on January 29, 2015, 02:03:03 PM
I bought one on 18 Jan.  I have put about 100 rounds through it, everything from 2.75 low brass to 3.5 magnums.  Here is what I have found out

I had 2 jams in 25 rounds with the low brass 2.75 probably due to the fact that there wasnt enough gas created by the low energy shells to efficiently operate the gas system.

25 rounds of 2.75 target load (lowbrass) Estate brand, 2 charging related jams (bolt didnt travel far enough to rear to engage the next shell from the mag tube)
25 rounds of standard 2.75 bird shot (High Brass) no issues
3 Inch 10 Rounds of Winchester Super X Turkey Load no issues
20 rounds of 3.5 inch Nitro Turkey no issues
5 Rounds of Winchester LB 3.5 no issues
5 Rounds of Federal Premium Turkey MAG SHOK 3.5 no issues
5 Rounds of Kent Ultimate Diamond 3.5 no issues

Any gun will have noticable recoil on the 3.5 magnum loads but this one was much less felt recoil than other guns which I have tried, Mossberg 535, 835, Rem 870, basically pump guns.  the versa max is my first auto loading shotgun

The stock sights are good, highly adjustable, and they are sturdy.  I put a TRUGLO Gobble Stopper on mine with a weaver rail just because I had one laying around not being used.  You are able to pick up the stock sights under the gobble stopper and still make accurate shots.

The stock choke is pretty good actually.  I was really impressed with its performance out of the box, I have a thread in the Pattern Picture topic.  I ordered a .660 Sumtoy to try out.

The gun is pretty tight structurally speaking. Im not crazy about the camo on mine being too green, because where i hunt is mainly in hardwoods.

So that is some of the good, now some of the bad:

I also got harassed about ordering the 22inch turkey gun by alot of my friends but you save about $3-500 by getting this version with the cardboard box, 1 choke tube, and non adjustable pull length and angle of rear stock.  Im going to use this gun to hunt Turkey, not skeet shoot, not duck hunt, not deer, just Turkey and I think it will do an excellent job at that.

The VersaMax uses the Remington Pro Bore Choke system, so extra chokes are not easily available in the store, I looked at Dicks Sporting Goods, Hagan Outdoors, and a few other small outdoor stores close to where I live and no one carried any ProBore chokes in stock.  They can be ordered so just be aware.

The weaver rail mount on top is Model 48454, it comes with 1 long screw and 3 short screws...  before you attempt this you need to source 3 more screws the same length as the 1 long one in the package.  The short screws will only catch about 3 threads because the profile of the top of the reciever is slightly different than the profile of the bottom of the weaver base. 

Hope this helps answer your questions about this particular gun.

Assault

I can't speak for the shorter barrel, all I own are the 28".... As stated, you would not like to hear about longer barrels... As for optics, very sturdy, I've abused both of the vmax I have with no issue.... As for weight, a lil heavy but helps reduce recoil.... Mic size trigger housing when wearing gloves... Bolt is simple and easy to maintain.... Feels like shooting a 20 gauge semi..... Coating holds up well. Will run any shell u put in it..... Soft but pad, standard Remington line of sight.... Well made and rugged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk